Muffler flapper?

/ Muffler flapper? #1  

mr4shootin

Tractor
Ford 1720 4wd shuttle
I use my ford 1720 in the woods and have to be very careful not to knock the muffler off.Would it hurt anything to take the tailpipe off and put a flapper directly on the muffler.That would shorten it up by about 12-15 inches or so and be less likely to get hung on a limb or something.

Attachments

• DSCF0313camptractor.jpg
    DSCF0313camptractor.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 179
   / Muffler flapper? #2  
I use my ford 1720 in the woods and have to be very careful not to knock the muffler off.Would it hurt anything to take the tailpipe off and put a flapper directly on the muffler.That would shorten it up by about 12-15 inches or so and be less likely to get hung on a limb or something.

The only problem that i see with that is that it may be a little noisier and the exhaust would probably blow back into your face.

/ Muffler flapper? #3  
What kind of bolt pattern does the muffler have where it bolts to the manifold? A lot of tractors are designed with a 4 bolt pattern so that you can unbolt the muffler, rotate it 90 deg. forward, and bolt it back on. If yours is like that, you might try it and see how that works for you. The only thing is you might have to get a muffler shop to fabricate a new & shorter "tailpipe" that downturns.

/ Muffler flapper? #4  
I removed the factory top pipe from my muffler onmy 1920 and installed a flapper... what about putting a shorter flair on yours.. like those lil tailpipe extensions with the side flair.. that should drop the height by half or so..

soundguy

/ Muffler flapper? #5  
my 1620 you can rotate it 90 but I have the FEL so I'm screwed there... I just had a buddy make a shorter one bent the same on the end (to fit in the shed) but yeah it still catches clothes lines, tree branches and slowly but surely gets tipped toward the back of the tractor...

/ Muffler flapper? #6  
can you make a deflector . guide for it that is a piece of rebar or angle iron that is bolted at the front and then stops befroe the muffler upright.. make it in a wedge shape so that branches and lines ride up the guide and over the stack.

soundguy