Bucket Teeth from Ebay

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm always browsing stuff on ebay. I just go through the listings for ideas and maybe something that I need. A few weeks ago, I saw some bucket teeth that I thought were a good deal. Six teeth with weld on shanks and pins for $60. After shipping, it came to $88. I got to wondering and did some searches for weld on teeth. The shanks were in the $10 to $15 range and the teeth were about the same. This looked like a pretty good deal. The seller has a good rating, so I bought them.

The package arrived from UPS damaged. When I looked through the box, I found that I was missing a tooth. I contacted the seller, who said that I needed to file a complaint with UPS. Once that was done, he would send me a replacement tooth. I called UPS, told them about the missing tooth and damaged package. They said to hold onto the box for five days in case they wanted to inspect the package. Then the seller contacted me and told me that UPS said they would pay him for the lost item and he was shipping the replacement tooth to me. It was here a few days later.

The teeth themselves seem home made. I'm not sure about them, but then I don't really know what I need them to do or what they should be made out of to be better. They are big, solid and heavy duty. They are welded together and it looks like quality work. I was expecting a cast looking tooth like on my backhoe bucket.

The shanks have an angle to them that fit the edge of my bucket. I also have a bolt on cutting edge on my bucket, but these don't touch it or interfere. I can easily remove and replace the cutting edge at any time. I cleaned up the metal on the bucket and welded on the teeth every 15 inches. If I was buying individual teeth, I think I would have bought 7, but since they came in a set of six, that's what I worked with.

The teeth are held in place with pins. I had to hammer the pins on, which took a bit of effort. I think that's good. It should make it harder to loose a tooth. I thought about welding each tooth to the shanks, but haven't done so. I still might. Anybody lost a tooth that was attached with a pin?

It's too muddy out to test it out. I'm curious if I'll notice a difference. I've never read a complaint about having teeth on a bucket, and from what I've read, everyone loves them. For what I spent, I don't think I can go wrong.

Eddie

Attachments

• 3 May 09 001 (Small).jpg
    3 May 09 001 (Small).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 645
  • 3 May 09 002 (Small).jpg
    3 May 09 002 (Small).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 843
   / Bucket Teeth from Ebay #2  
Eddie, those are good looking bucket teeth and surely a good buy at the price you paid. The only thing I see that might be a problem is there is no lip that fits under the bucket to give the teeth strength when back-dragging. If you hit a rock of stump, it's possible to bend the bar the teeth are welded to or break your weld bead. I'm including a picture of my bucket teeth that shows the lip I am talking about at the yellow arrow.

Attachments

• Bucket-Tooth.jpg
    Bucket-Tooth.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 916
   / Bucket Teeth from Ebay
Hi Jim,

Your teeth are totally different then mine. One of the things that I didn't want with teeth was for them to stick out below my bucket. I love to back-drag with my bucket and wanted to keep the smooth, flat surface under the bucket. It's kind of hard to see, but in my second picture, the teeth are above my cutting edge. With my bucket flat on the ground, my teeth should not be touching the ground at all. That's my hope. LOL

Eddie

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #4  
OK Eddie :
What new project have you got planned for us to watch and marvel at ?
Are you getting starte on the RV park ?

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #5  
One of the things that I didn't want with teeth was for them to stick out below my bucket. I love to back-drag with my bucket and wanted to keep the smooth, flat surface under the bucket.
Eddie

Yep, I absolutely understand and wish that was possible with my bucket, but my impression is that the teeth are vulnerable if they don't hook under the lip. In your case, you have a cutting edge below your bucket edge to add more strength. If your welds are strong enough, it will be a non-issue. I cut with my teeth when going in reverse, using them as scarifiers. I often hit rocks, stumps, or roots as I'm doing this. I don't put the teeth at 90 degrees to the ground to keep from having large hydraulic pressure spikes if I hit something, but I scarify often in reverse with the teeth digging. For smooth backdragging, I've learned to use the heel of my bucket with the teeth or I change to my other bucket without teeth if I want to use the cutting edge.

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #6  
those look good let me know how they work
I was thinking of something just like that for my little toy

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #7  
Looks good Eddie and you will notice a big difference when you go to breakout compacted soil.

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay
I spent most of the day digging with the backhoe today, but just had to see how those teeth worked. So after parking the dump truck, I tried to dig into some hard pack soil. To my surprise, I was able to do it. The soil is moist from all the rains, so it's not as hard as it will be when it dries out, but it's still virgin soil, and very hard.

I had to play around with the angle. Going in flat, I sort of skidded across the top of it. But with a little angle to dig the teeth in, it just kept going until I had a full bucket.

I'm impressed.

Then I dumped it in a low spot that's getting worse with the dump truck going through it all the time. I actually dumped six yards in this low spot. Each time, I back-dragged the bucket to see how it worked. Never did the teeth get in the way. I was able to use the back of the bucket to get a hold of the dirt, and then angle it up to feather the dirt out. I was able to do it just like always, which is what I was hoping for.

Six loads isn't enough to see how strong they are or how they will work out, but at least I can see the difference from before. It was money well spent.

Eddie

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #9  
Eddie,
I recognize the teeth, they are FABCO, same as I used to make my toothbar.
Believe them to be the 8023 teeth.
I used a different style holder however.
3 years of frequant usage and no noticeable wear as of yet.

/ Bucket Teeth from Ebay #10  
The excavator I used two weekends ago had pin on teeth and they weren't going anwhere.

I'm thinking you've got nothing to worry about.

Interesting you welded directly to your bucket. For me I'd be affraid that I could not as easily scoup up from my driveway, loom, mulch and the like.

Nice welds.

Joel

Last edited: