Mowing Engaging mower PTO

/ Engaging mower PTO #1  

diesel_nut

Gold Member
Tractor
~'88 1872(sold); '08 GT2554
GT2554

I guess it mentions this in the manual and I will look but this site has been dead lately so I will post this.

Should the mower deck be down when engaging or does it make a difference? The reason I ask is, I went to engage it yesterday and the engine bogged down a lot(deck was fully up). I put it down and there was no problem.

Also it seems to bog more when the tractor is first started and not afterward......so I'm thinking I must be doing it with the deck up most times when I first start out.

/ Engaging mower PTO
Manual says to raise deck fully (or be in short grass when deck is down) then engage PTO. Throttle set at "half way". Hmmmmm. I engage it on the driveway usually.

Maybe I need to let it warm up more before I engage it.

Last edited:
   / Engaging mower PTO #3  
Dito,diyto,etc.
Yeah deck up,no tall grass under it, like the man said.

But one thing you need to do[ain't saying you don't,but],you need to let motor warm up for 5 min or so before trying to engage deck.

/ Engaging mower PTO
Oh, i said I didn't already :)

/ Engaging mower PTO #5  
Hum,than,don't know to let a thing warm up a little before going,man!

/ Engaging mower PTO
Guilty as charged ;)

/ Engaging mower PTO #7  
Well,from now on,your an expert!

/ Engaging mower PTO #8  
Engaging on concrete is OK. It's easier on the PTO clutch if it is engaged with RPM's down. I won't beat the warm up factor.

That is also why I disabled the reverse cutout. Not good to have that clutch kicking in and out.

/ Engaging mower PTO
Engaging on concrete is OK. It's easier on the PTO clutch if it is engaged with RPM's down. I won't beat the warm up factor.

That is also why I disabled the reverse cutout. Not good to have that clutch kicking in and out.

Can you say..........RevTech :)