Manual Pump for Top Link

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #1  

Tentman

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5445, IHI 25NX Mini Excavator
Hello Guys

I do a lot of post driving with older tractors (a Massey 165 and Leyland 344 - oh dear, now there a fine piece of crap for you).

I have a hydraulic top link but have never fitted it because the systems on these older tractors means you have to "switch" between the 3pt and externals. Now I've just done a marathon post session and feel like I've arm wrestled the californian governor from winding on the top link !!

Is there a manual pump (and valve to switch direction) I could rig to use the top link - maybe a Enerpac or something ??

Cheers - Foster

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #3  
could always mount a ready pump on your fender.. that are a couple hundred USD.. and is basically an electric motor with a coupl equart resv, and switches for controlling a small DA cyl... just hook to 12v, plumb, mount and go..

Here's one that is just the pump and motor.. no resv or valves:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009051209113235&item=9-7313&catname=

and here's the full unit for a lil more..:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009051209113235&item=9-7550&catname=hydraulic

soundguy

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #4  
   / Manual Pump for Top Link #5  
You could use the hydraulic pump that is used to lift the engine on outboard motors. I have one, and it is not very big, and runs off 12V. Right now it is being used to lift a drag blade when I drag the road. I use it for transport and turning around. A rocker switch controls the up/down.

On my Pt-1445. I have a small hydraulic pump driven off the fan belt for my steering and lift. It puts out about 3 GPM @ 2750 psi. That is enough for me to lift 1200 lbs with the cylinders I am using.

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #6  
Those electric units draw a LOT of power. The three listed above draw between 150 and 270 amps with a duty cycle of 1 minute running and 5 minutes resting. It's like running a starter motor. Might be a little hard on the electrical system.

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #7  
Duty cycle huh..

so.. I wonder what the duty cycle on a DA toplink is... small stroke... figure.. what.. 1 second maybee 2 if you use 1/4 line and an orifice to make it controllable?

We use those units on trucks with spray bars, to actuate valves and swing bars.. have yet to ahve a problem using them for a few seconds every minute..

amp draw will be based on hyd load.. if hyd load is lower.. amp draw will be lower...

storage battery on the tractor that turns it's starter will have no problem with that motor.. just use some big 'welding' cables and it will be fine.

soundguy

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #8  
Similar units are used for snowplow hoists, especially on larger trucks with fixed plows. As Soundguy mentioned, they draw significant amps under load, but not so bad when unloaded.

My tractor (with a 20 amp alternator!) had one to operate a power angle plow that the previous owner used. Probably not used much, but it seemed to handle it with stock wiring, garden tractor battery and a tiny alternator.

/ Manual Pump for Top Link #9  
Yep.. the 'storage' battery is what takes up the slack... even a lawn tractor battery can source hi-amps for low duration loads.. especially if we are not talking about full /stall theoretical max amperage loads like those specs likely specify.