utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor?

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #1  

mach

hey guys, I'm looking for some design help on building a plow that will use my compact 1710 ford (20 hp diesel) 3 point hitch. What i want to build is a mount, that will allow me to change / build different shape of plow heads, rakes, root cutters, ect. If i can come up with a basic design, i could build / design my own cutting tools, to pull behind my tractor. For instance, i could bolt on a sod buster disc, or unbolt it and bolt on a root cutter blade, or build me a square tipped plow for digging footers, or digging ditches for pipe. So, basically, i want a tool that will use my tractors 3 point hitch, yet allow me to bolt on different tool heads/ blades.

Thanks guys,
Mach

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #2  
Hi mach not to long ago I was looking at a middle buster in the TSC catalog. Anyway just looking there may give you a few ideas for a 3Ph plow type frame that would accept different tools...

...but if you have a welder I think it would be better to have multiple 3ph frames instead, mostly cause because the angle it makes ground contact.

It sounds like you have a plan and may be on to something ...so I dunno. Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with.

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #3  
Maybe I read it wrongly, but I think you are describing what I understand to be called a "tool bar".
If you do a search for that it might give you some ideas, change your mind, or change your direction - slightly or significantly.

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #4  
seems counter productive to me... the main claim of the 3pt beside drafting properly is convenience. You lose all of the above with a compromised design. A little more steel pays for a lot of time to do other things. Make each as a separate tool would be my suggestion.

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #5  
Mach, if you pursue this consider setting up the frame with a square tubing socket similar to a trailer hitch. This would make it much easier to change out the plow tools.

Otherwise I agree with others that it would be better to have separate implements and may be necessary in some cases anyway.

Steve

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #6  
I have been building my own plows for years. I have a 5' roto-tiller that I use to break my ground, it leaves my entire garden tilled and ready for my light equipment.

I started building different attachments that would work from my trailer hitch reciever tube. It works like a 140 Farmall "quick hitch" that is a 1 prong fast change type reciever only my reciever is a 2" I.D. trailer reciever. When I want a new tool I get a piece of 2" tubing, slide it in and build off of that. I don't have to build the 3point hook-up each time, the reciever hitch is already built. And it make it easy to change by pulling 1 pin and sliding a new one in.

For a middle buster to lay off rows, I used a "C" tine from a cultivator that had a hole in it to mount my plow. I can carry it with 2 fingers and change it out in 15 seconds. You can also mount a sweep on the same c-tine if you need that. You can also buy old mule drawn plows at an auction usually for 5-10 bucks, adapt the end where the mule was attached with a piece of tubing and take the handles off. Our smaller 20 hp tractors really don't produce enough power to tear up the old mule plows. They are lightweight but I use them with a YM2200 tractor, works great.

For a cultivator, I took all the steel from a mule drawn "spring harrow" that had c-tines and seperated the steel into 2 sides. I mounted each side on a piece of 2 inch tubing that was dropped about 9 inches so the reciever hitch would travel over the plants but allow the rakes to run along side of the plants. It works great. I made each side to slide in or out to be adjusted to how wide my plants were.

I needed a rake to rake up old winter wheat after bush hogging so I took the hay rake teeth and bar they were bolted to out of a mule drawn hay rake, welded the tubing to it and in just an hour or so I had a hay rake on my Yanmar.

I have a small 40' X 40' garden, no weeds or grass and only have about 2 hrs "hoe" time involved. I still pull the dirt to small plants with the hoe. My home made equipment is working well.

I built a 6' yard rake using hay rake teeth. I got my ideas off of this forum. I also built this to work from the reciever tube. It also does a good job. Beats the crap out of a hand rake.

/ utility plow mount for a 3pt hitch on compact tractor? #7  
I started building different attachments that would work from my trailer hitch reciever tube. It works like a 140 Farmall "quick hitch" that is a 1 prong fast change type reciever only my reciever is a 2" I.D. trailer reciever. When I want a new tool I get a piece of 2" tubing, slide it in and build off of that. I don't have to build the 3point hook-up each time, the reciever hitch is already built. And it make it easy to change by pulling 1 pin and sliding a new one in.

For a middle buster to lay off rows, I used a "C" tine from a cultivator that had a hole in it to mount my plow. I can carry it with 2 fingers and change it out in 15 seconds. You can also mount a sweep on the same c-tine if you need that. You can also buy old mule drawn plows at an auction usually for 5-10 bucks, adapt the end where the mule was attached with a piece of tubing and take the handles off. Our smaller 20 hp tractors really don't produce enough power to tear up the old mule plows. They are lightweight but I use them with a YM2200 tractor, works great.

For a cultivator, I took all the steel from a mule drawn "spring harrow" that had c-tines and seperated the steel into 2 sides. I mounted each side on a piece of 2 inch tubing that was dropped about 9 inches so the reciever hitch would travel over the plants but allow the rakes to run along side of the plants. It works great. I made each side to slide in or out to be adjusted to how wide my plants were.

I needed a rake to rake up old winter wheat after bush hogging so I took the hay rake teeth and bar they were bolted to out of a mule drawn hay rake, welded the tubing to it and in just an hour or so I had a hay rake on my Yanmar.

I built a 6' yard rake using hay rake teeth. I got my ideas off of this forum. I also built this to work from the reciever tube. It also does a good job. Beats the crap out of a hand rake.

I can sort of visualize what you have done, but if you have photos that you could upload to this forum, that would be much appreciated.