Oil & Fuel Milky Oil

/ Milky Oil #1  

1yammerslammer

Tractor
zennoh YM1700
Hi guys, I have a YM 1700 that I use very little, however I always check fluids before each use. One reason I always check is I know I have a small leak from the radiator, so I know I lose a little fluid each time. This time my oil had a greyish milky look to it. I changed oil and filter, but should I suspect head gasket? It has been a little over a year since I changed it, but only about 15 hours on the meter. Thanks ahead of time.

/ Milky Oil
All of the oil was Greyish. Could it be from not changeing this year? Thanks guys.

/ Milky Oil #6  
could be condensation.. If you park outside rain water could have gotten in around shifter boot , etc, You could change oil & keep a check on it

/ Milky Oil #7  
could be condensation.. If you park outside rain water could have gotten in around shifter boot , etc, You could change oil & keep a check on it

I Would tend to agree with Ken . Normally if it was a head gasket & You have anti freeze in the Radiator the Exhaust will put out a white smoke .

You also Mention a Slow Leak in the Radiator, as Long as the leak is apparent from the Outside & Your oil Dipstick doesn,t show its overfull . I,d vote against anything like a Head gasket .

Best to just Change the oil & Filter . & The filter a few more times after running it & see if it Clears up . If So I,d say Your good to go . Best of luck & let Us know what You find out . Bob

/ Milky Oil #8  
And if you suspect a bad head gasket could be letting water into the cylinders, be sure to crank using the compression release to blow the water out before starting. Water is incompressible.

/ Milky Oil
Thanks guys, Im gonna give it a try and hope somehow water got in elsewhere.

/ Milky Oil #10  
I agree that it sounds like it was mixed in by running. Seems like too much to be simply condensation. Must be rain or coolant. When you change the oil watch for water/coolant puddled in the bottom of the pan. Loosen the drain plug and see what dribbles out first. Water, coolant or grey oil.
A couple things I have notice and done when dealing with leaky head gaskets (on gas engines).
1) After a half hour of running the exhaust has a small white puff (steam?) which dissipates quickly. Hold your hand in the puff for a couple seconds and then smell your hand. Is it sweet like antifreeze?
2) Starting with a cold engine. (ot antifreeze is very damgerous) Leave the rad cap loose to prevent the coolant pressure from building as the engine warms up. That should reduce or eliminate the coolant puff at the exhaust. I had to drive a car 300 miles like this once, just to get home on one tank of antifreeze. :)