Tiller Tiller to clear weeds?

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #1  

sagaponack

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 755 1993
I used to use a brish hog to clear weeds (one season) before tilling. Today I decided to go to straight to the tiller. Took a couple extra passes.

Any downside to doing it this way?

P.S. Where do you get implement pins online (is that what they are called?) I am losing them all the time.

Rob

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #2  
I used to use a brish hog to clear weeds (one season) before tilling. Today I decided to go to straight to the tiller. Took a couple extra passes.
sagaponack,

As I don't have a bush hog, I too went straight for the tiller when clearing weeds. (More like clearing bushes). I should mention that I went through a first pass with my FEL. The bushes were 6'+ high. I was amazed what a good job the tiller did. The -only- downside I have found is the branches that wrap around the tiller blade shaft.

Buck

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #3  
Rob
<font color=blue> Where do you get implement pins online (is that what they are called?) I am losing them all the time.</font color=blue>

I’m not aware of a place to direct order Lynch Pins on line. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.agri-supply.com/index.shtml>Agri Supply</A> (1-800-345-0169) has a web site that you can order a catalog from. A package of five 7/16” pins is $.49. Part # 34034.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/>TSC</A> has Lynch pins for $.11 each at my local store. I bought a dozen of them last winter. But can’t remember where I put them. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #4  
Home Depot usually carries some sizes of lynch pins and hitch pin clips in their "fasteners" section, in the tall cabinets with the drawers.

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #5  
Rob--

Are your linchpins something other than soft steel bolts?

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #6  
There's an implement that spades (called a spader) that will bury a standing crop in one pass. You need a spader that goes down at least 12" which is a medium sized spader. I've been told that after the one pass, it's difficult to tell anything had been planted.

Since the spader works just like inserting a spade and breaking out the soil, it doesn't get emeshed in the vegetation. Another advantage of a spader is it can work wet soil. One of the uses is preparing rice paddies.

Spaders are not common in this country mostly because of the expense. None of them are manufactured here.

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #7  
Lurch,

Thanks for the information. I will likely never buy one, but I like to know what kind of implements are available.

Thanks again,
Buck

/ Tiller to clear weeds?
They are metal bolts with pins that go in whole with metal rings that snap to hold them pins in.

I thought they were pretty standard.

Rob

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #9  
sagaponack,

get 'em at your dealer for $.60 /piece. get 'em at TSC for $.10 /piece, as I did yesterday.

Buck

/ Tiller to clear weeds? #10  
I used my tiller last weekend to till some unmowed areas. Weeds wrapped around the tines pretty badly; soil was tilled just fine though. Did notice a burning odor a few times though; saw a couple of smoking hunks of weeds come out of the tiller. Noticed yesterday the paint on one end of the tiller had actually scorched from friction generated by the weeds wrapped around tine shaft. Might be a good way to start a fire in dry conditions /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.