john deere 1020 opinions

/ john deere 1020 opinions #1  

griptongue

Tractor
yanmar 226d, mf35
I found a jd 1020 gas at a dealer for $3000. are these good tractors ? I want to use it to mow with a 5-6 ft bushog and 5ft blade. hour meter is broke but dealer says it is good. It's a 10 hour drive to see the tractor.

/ john deere 1020 opinions #2  
I do not know anything about the 1020. I did have a 2210 and that is 10+ hp more. IMHO it would not handle a 6' cutter well. IMHO I am going to compare the 1020 to our 404 as they are close in HP. The 404 is mediocre with a 5' rotary cutter and I would not hook up my MX5 to it as it would not have the power for a medium duty cutter.

People have different ideas about what is sufficient HP for what size cutter. If you were cutting your lawn, a 5' would be fine. If you were to use it in thick stuff, it would struggle with a 5'er....

Before you buy that tractor, have the dealer hook it up to something that will put a good load on the tractor. There is a breather off the valve cover on the right side (I think) that extends to the bottom of the motor. Watch that to see if you get any blow by or light blue smoke from it. Some will even be leaking oil from there. That will tell you if you have a tired motor.

/ john deere 1020 opinions #3  
A 1020 (older model tractor from late 60's to early 70's is near bullet proof tractor. It should handle an MX6 with no problem. You will have to determine the condition it is in as it does have some years of use.

As far as the comparison to a 2210, I think the 1020 can carry a 2210 on its 3 pt hitch.:D The 1020 is about the same wt and size as the new 4xxx tractors.

Steve

/ john deere 1020 opinions #4  
A 1020 (older model tractor from late 60's to early 70's is near bullet proof tractor. It should handle an MX6 with no problem. You will have to determine the condition it is in as it does have some years of use.

As far as the comparison to a 2210, I think the 1020 can carry a 2210 on its 3 pt hitch.:D The 1020 is about the same wt and size as the new 4xxx tractors.

Steve

My bad, I was meaning to type 2010...... not 2210(the little lawn mower)

I don't see how a 40 year ols gas engine that is 37hp is going to run an MX6. Our 404 that has very low hours and runs like new will not handle an MX5. There is only 2hp difference between the two. I am not saying its a bad tractor, its not, but it does not have the torque to pull a large rotary cutter through the tick stuff.... I dont think my 2010 would have pulled an MX6 through the thick stuff... It was not a torque monster at all!

/ john deere 1020 opinions #5  
Well again the 2010 if in good shape should pull an MX6, this is close in power to a new 4320 or 4520. But now we are talking about 50 year old tractors in the "ten series". I really think that the $3000 dollar range is tough to deal with unless a person is handy with tractor refurbishing.

Steve

/ john deere 1020 opinions #6  
I agree, you have to be able to work on the older tractors. Our 404, even our 1586 needs work almost constant. Little things go on them like hoses, fuel lines, and other small things.....

/ john deere 1020 opinions #7  
One good thing is that you can work on these tractors as they are wet sleeved engines without computers. Having had several different sizes of this series I hold these in high regard. Everything would depend on the condition of this 1020 and what repairs would be needed.

Steve

/ john deere 1020 opinions #8  
Any 1020, gas or diesel, in good shape should pull a 6' bushhog with no problem at all. My 1020 has close to 10000 hours on it, and it can handle the 6' Woods easily. Mine is diesel. DSC00342.jpg

DSC00602.JPG

/ john deere 1020 opinions #9  
Kessler Farms,

Very nice example of what a 1020 can still be. Great tractor and photos, thanks for sharing with us.

Steve

/ john deere 1020 opinions #10  
Thank you. I have a photo of the 1020 with the 6' bushhog, but can't find it right now. My dad bought this one new in 1971, my son (pictured) and I repainted it a couple of winters ago. We only use it to pull a hay rake for the most part now, plus a little cleanup with the small bushhog around hay fields and such.