Go Kart will not get moving

/ Go Kart will not get moving #1  

buckle97

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST
I just picked up this 6.5 hp go kart on Craigslist last night. It is in great shape and not even two years old. It is extremely fast, almost hard to control it is so fast, once it gets going. My problem is that it has a little trouble starting to move. I do not have any experience with these things so I am hoping someone around here does. Could it be that the belt needs replacing? It makes a little squeal when you push the gas and if you give it a little push with your foot on the ground it will start moving and then it will get up to speed. If I look at the engine I see the small wheel spinning when the gas is pressed but the belt does not catch and spin the big wheel until you get it rolling.
Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.

Attachments

• pics 300 (Large).jpg
    pics 300 (Large).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 624
   / Go Kart will not get moving #2  
If the current belt isn’t loose, it sounds like it could use a new one.

/ Go Kart will not get moving
If the current belt isn稚 loose, it sounds like it could use a new one.

The current belt does not feel loose at all. It is also in visibly good shape, which is why I was not sure if it needed to be replaced or not. Do the symptoms I describe indicate a bad belt?

/ Go Kart will not get moving #4  
If the belt is slipping, it certainly could be a worn belt. They don't always look bad.

/ Go Kart will not get moving #5  
Some of the belts are asymmetrical, which means unequal sides. Symmetrical belts sides are equal. The belt may be on backward. Someone might have put the wrong belt on it. also , the clutch might be on it's way out. Just put it up on blocks, and take the shield off so you can see what is happening.

Please look at the attached picture with the red arrow. The arrow points to the wheel that starts spinning immediately when the gas pedal is pressed. It just spins without grabbing the belt and therefore the rear wheel doesn't spin. Is this how it would behave if the clutch is going out?

Attachments

• pics300 arrow.JPG
    pics300 arrow.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 800
   / Go Kart will not get moving #8  
Yes, that is the clutch. Just take it apart and look at the clutch material, the springs might be missing, see if the the clutch material is worn out.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to look at this tonight and report my findings.

/ Go Kart will not get moving #10  
Actually, if the springs were worn or gone I would expect the symptom to be the clutch is always engaging and likely also stalling motor at low speed. Doesn't mean he couldn't have BOTH spring issues and bad shoe/friction material though ;-)

RavensRoost