Hands Free Mowing

/ Hands Free Mowing #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Yesterday, just after sundown but before it got dark, I started to the grocery store and a couple of blocks from the house, I saw a lady on a riding lawnmower. When I first saw her, she was going straight away from me, so I was seeing her from the back and the thing that attracted my attention was the fact that she was holding both hands out from her body about as far as she could reach. Then, just as I passed by, the mower turned toward the street and I saw that she had a child, no more than 2 or 3 years old, sitting in her lap doing the steering.

/ Hands Free Mowing #2  
I see that from time to time too - quite often on skidoos too. I hate it. Maybe the folks are super careful but man it suggests that they are not thinking about being safe and take for granted the dangers.

Kids are also so smart as you all know. They will remember how to start the tractor and who knows what could happen (we had an old JD mower with no safeties and after watching us drive it once my pals kid jumped on and started it.)

/ Hands Free Mowing #3  
Then, just as I passed by, the mower turned toward the street and I saw that she had a child, no more than 2 or 3 years old, sitting in her lap doing the steering.

Good Mornin Bird,
My only hope would be, that she didnt have the blades turning ! :)

/ Hands Free Mowing #4  
Couple days ago saw a guy maybe 40 with a 6-year old in front of him, both pushing a mower. Kid's arms way up over his head. Seemed like a good way to maim a kid for life, but mebbe I'm gettin' old...
Jim

/ Hands Free Mowing #5  
Bird:

Sort of like my dummy former neighbor?

I can't imagine a 2 or 3 year old kid having the strength to steer a non power steering lawn tractor unless the kid is Bam-Bam from the Flintstones.

Attachments

• DSC02686.JPG
    DSC02686.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC02687.JPG
    DSC02687.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 284
   / Hands Free Mowing #6  
Bird: .....I'm trying very hard to "quit-my-habit" of long posts,..especially those to do with equipment safety. Then you come along with such a t-t-tempting one as this!!!

So frustrating to see such a display as your "lady-up-the-street",..in her stup--no,..er, ah, "ignorance" of how quick and easy something devastating can take place before she can avert it!!

Next thing you know she'll be out there taking photos of the kid driving the mower with blades spinning. Except the kid won't yet have the instincts to do the right thing when something goes bad!!

Oooh,..Ouch, Ouch,....I can't look !!!!
. . tug

/ Hands Free Mowing #7  
Some of my fondest memories of my Father and Uncles is of them letting me be a big tractor driver while on their laps as a kid. I think that these things can be done with a reasonable amount of acceptable risk. I don't think we should try to regulate EVERYONE elses safety the same. Not all of us are equal in our abilities in all areas. I am in no way saying that people don't do things they shoulden't, but I sure am against having Big Brother looking over my shoulder 24/7. That's just me. Thank God I live in a country that at this point in time still allows me to make most of my decisions for myself. If things keep going the way they are, then I fear that the end of these days is nearer than I want to believe. I truly fear that some of the so-called "safety police" will not be happy until we are all in a "sphere of safety" (read as BUBBLE). What a boring life that would be. Just my opinion, obviously other's will differ :p

Troy

/ Hands Free Mowing #8  
It's not a BAD thing. Not the safest, though. As long as she's being attentive to the child, ready to cut the mower, or stop the tractor.

My niece, 4, steers the golf carts. Either in the lap of my grandmother, who is working the pedals. Or, in the driver seat, with me or my dad in the passenger working the pedals with our left foot.

When I was 4, my dad pushed the hand-hydro on our JD 420 L&G, and let me go, steering by myself.

Also reminds me of my dad's friend. His kid's are bad and they are crazy for letting them do half the things they do. But anyway, while we were at his house the other day, my mom was complaining that the kids were pushing the cub cadet tractor around in the driveway. So, I offered to move it for him. I went over to it, looking around making sure the PTO and stuff is all off before I start it, because it's a new tractor with so many safety features. As I'm doing it, his 5 year old son is telling me exactly what do do. Some wer jjust the opposite, like turning the RPMs down after siitting, when they should be turned up. But they could have easily started it and moved it themselves, hurting themselves and the other kids.:eek:

Sorry for the legthyness. Just trying to say that it's OK to have them do stuff like that, but just be careful and be strict unlike the last story.

Kyle

/ Hands Free Mowing #9  
Farmboy: ...I'll try to make this my "final" on this topic, so please don't provoke me into a reply. Besides, I stood up for you once, please don't disappoint me.

Your first line: "as long as she's being attentive,..ready to take the proper action" etc. From the sound of the story, do you think she was? Thats the problem: Most aren't being attentive and by the time she would have taken action the kid's on the ground with an arm or leg under the mower! Just take a moment and "THINK" about that.....please.

Kyle,.. you are but 13 years old I believe. I am 72,...(yea maybe just a stupid old man to many,..and I won't argue the point.) You seem fairly mature for your age and no doubt have lots of experience with various types of tractors, RVs, cars and trucks etc (and a beer or 2).

That is good, very good, because by the time you're legal, you'll have driving experience under your belt, most folks don't get in a lifetime. Another good thing about it is that the "wild, eratic stuff you do" when nobody's looking, (that's how I learned) will transfer to "instinct" in time,...and that's what will eventually save your bacon on the farm and on the highway. So I'm happy for you and I guess there is no sense telling you to take it easy and be careful,..because I know better,...I was your age once,..Really, no kiddin, I won't lie to you!

In fact I started driving tractors when I was 8 and graduated to loading gravel trucks when I was ten,...and then driving the gravel trucks at 12. (Best summer vacations I ever had!)

But,..my point is,..you are 13 years old. You are extremely lucky to be living where you are and having parents that allow you to do the things you do. Had my father (rest his soul) known what I was doing at that age, I'd still be chained to my bed!

Yes, you are having fun and getting experience and you "think" you are old enough and "wise" enough to come on this forum and voice an opinion on a topic you virtually know NOTHING about! (To clarify that: you are more than welcome to come on and voice an opinion on any topic you choose),...but please pick one you know something about. Otherwise some folk might listen to your advice and get hurt, or be the cause of an injury.

At my age and my experience in life, I have had the misfortune of witnessing in one way or another,...some extremely tragic accidents, (actually my Traffic Sergeant many years ago, told me there was no such thing as an "accident" as "somebody" is to blame!) But my involvement with equipment from the very big to the very small,..caused me to see some things I'd very much like to be able to forget.

At your young age and attitude on "all being well with kids on laps" steering lawn mowers etc,.....you would likely be totally amazed at the number of very bad injuries, amputations, manglings and horrible deaths involving kids and the simple riding lawn mower. Parents, big brothers, an uncle or friend having to live with the memory of the screams and what was left, dead or alive of a kid that was laughing, having a wonderful time till sh/he fell or got knocked off at the wrong time and place.

When you have seen what some of us older people have seen regarding what you, Kyle, "think" at 13 to be OK,....then perhaps you can come on and voice your "learned" opinion of the topic. But in the meantime, you really must admit you don't, actually, "know" what the heck you are talking about! Because, IT IS NOT OKAY TO LET KIDS RIDE LAWNMOWERS !!! A lawnmower is very difinitely "NOT" a toy ! It is a very dangerous tool meant to CUT!!

Yes I often see young kids driving the family lawn mower, cutting the grass. That kid might be qualified,...but chances are they DON'T yet have the "instincts" to make the instant move required to avoid something bad!! Kyle, you are no doubt developing the instincts in the driving you do daily. But try to keep in mind that your 4 year old niece most assuredly does "NOT" and neither does any other young kid. It would be a terrible shame if "you" had to live with some bad memories. Not many have your experience, ..definitely NOT at 4 years!! "THINK"!! MANY of the "adults" with the kid on their lap,.....are "NOT" qualified or responsible either. That's the cause!

Believe me, I did NOT want to get involved in this thread any further, But after considering what may or may not happen if left alone with your advice, I decided to enter this item. PLEASE take it for the way it was meant, as I'm extremely safety conscious, and only trying to be helpful. I hope you'll give it some thought as I think you will. I wish you the very best in all you do.

Good Luck,
. . tug

PS: BIRD,..sorry to hi-jack your thread,....just couldn't help myself, sorry.

Last edited: