new house and garage build

/ new house and garage build #1  

luc2121

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 tc45da 1998 zetor 3320
I am starting to build a new house and garage on a 250 acre lot i own. It is in Avonmore ontario. The house is a Viceroy home Custom Country Homes by Viceroy Homes - Custom Country Home Builders located in North America offering Custom Country Home Design, Prefabricated, Architectural Post and Beam, Viceroy Homes, Custom Home Solutions, custom homes, custom home, custom cou it is the invermere mkv . I will doing it with a walkout basement, anyone have any suggestions or tips on doing this type of foundation ? the house is a little over 2000 sq ft, and the garage will be 32x52 with a 12ft wall and scissor trusses. i added 2 pictues of were the house will be going. the house will be to the left of driveway and the garage to the right.

Attachments

• farm1.jpg
    farm1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 199
  • farm2.jpg
    farm2.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 186
   / new house and garage build #2  
Hi,

Have you considered ICF for the foundation ? Considering the locale of the build, it might be something you want to look at.

Could try posting on the site http://www.mikeholmesfanforum.com/phpbb3/ for some activity.

You have to join but that is a simple easy process and the site can be entertaining as well.

Hope this helps.

/ new house and garage build #3  
I'll second the ICF idea. And make sure you avail yourself of all the great products and techniques for keeping water out. There's almost no good excuse for a wet basement this day and age, unless you dig below the water table. We're planning a walk-out basement (and ICF) for our build as well. It's nice to have windows and doors on at least one basement wall.

/ new house and garage build #4  
Sounds like an interesting project. Please keep us updated of your progress. I always enjoy a good house build, especially when it's something new that I haven't seen before.

If you have some time, Pat has a very long, very detailed thread over at CountryByNet that's worth reading. He did a walk out basement and quite a few other things that you should find interesting. Everything Pat does, he does for a reason and is really good about explaing it. He also posts over here at TBN, so maybe he'll come across this thread.

CountryByNet.com Forums :: South Central Oklahoma Farmhouse

Good luck,
Eddie

/ new house and garage build
I will be spending some time this weekend finishing the driveway and raised area for the garage to sit, and if time permits i will be plowing and discking the area behind the house/garage because it is so uneven/overgrown with weeds.Because i'm going with a walkout basement and i dont have much natural slope in the rear i will have to sit the foundation fairly shallow and fill the front up. Seems like best solution is to dig a pond for the fill. The pond will go in the south east corner of the property roughly 900 yrds from the house. not sure how big to go. I will post more pictures monday to show the progress. any comments suggestions are much appreciated.

here's a few pictures of what got done over the weekend, got the driveway finished and about half of the fill for the garage area. alson plowed area behind house/garage but forgot to take a picture one is looking down the driveway south and other is of area for the garage

Attachments

• driveway south.jpg
    driveway south.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 166
  • garage area.jpg
    garage area.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 151
finished bringing fill for the garage and compacted it all. tommorrow i need to order my tin for it. i am going with a grey tin for the walls, do you think i should go same colour for the roof or different colour ? it will be next to the house which will be gray hardiplank and shingled roof, thought abought shingling roof but tin isn't much more and last much longer. so what colour do you think ?

/ new house and garage build #8  
If hot temps aren,t a concern , Id try to match your other structures . I went with white because of the heat in our area & Wished I hadn,t of . As it looks like its covered with a dark film , Maybe from Surounding plowed fields or the trees , or both . I tried to power wash it but its far to dangerous because it makes it so slippery to walk on .

But I,d take it getting hotter inside the attic area ( the rest is insulated ) if it looked better . Just My thoughts . Best of luck & looking forward to seeing it finished . Bob

/ new house and garage build #9  
I like contrast and accents in a building. A grey building with a matching grey roof sounds like something from an old 1950's military movie. White will reflect the sun, but I don't think it really makes a significant difference since the metal will heat up no mater what color it is. I'd match the metal roof to the color of the shingles that you are going to use on the house so they blend together and look like it was all planned out that way.

Eddie

i was pretty sure i wanted to go with a black roof or even maybe a darker grey than the rest of the building. i was scared black might fade ?? today we got the forms set and packed the gravel, i forgot to take pictures. the back field that was plowed finally dried up so i started discking it but ended up geting a flat and ripping the bead of the right front tire, so i ordered 2 new 12.4-24 tires as they were more than half worn anyways.hopefully get the forms inspected in the morning so we can pour before the weekend