? on Finish mower size used?

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #1  

cgreenway

Tractor
09 Kubota B3030HSD-F
I was looking to purchase a 3pt finish mower to mow my 2ac field pretty quickly, and was wondering what the largest I could pull with my B3030, the land is fairly level and smooth, I have been looking at some 6' but would love to buy the 7' and get'er done , thanks,

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #2  
You've only got 23 PTO horsepower. Depending upon how long you let the grass get, that might not even be enough for a six footer. Besides, my seven footer weighs in at 860 pounds. So I'm thinking one that size might make you a little light in the front end when it comes time to lift/transport it.

Besides, the comparative scarcity of 7 footers makes them pretty pricey. The six foot version of mine costs barely over half what my seven footer retails for.

//greg//

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #3  
Lawn King. Had a 84 finish mower behind his B3030Cab. You might want to shoot him a PM for details.

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #4  
I have a 7 ft Landpride finish mower for my 35hp, 4x4 Century tractor. PTO HP is about 32HP and that's plenty of power to cut just about any grass that I have. Bahia is a challenge when it gets tall, but I've done it a few times. Mostly that's why I have a rotary cutter, but for the ongoing maintenance cutting, the finish mower is only cutting a few inches of grass and power isn't an issue with this set up.

Lifting it is boarderline. I can, but it's all I've got in the tractor to lift it. I don't have a loader, but I do have weights on the front, and when lifted, the front tires become so light on the ground that if I'm going uphill, I can't turn. The tires turn, but the tractor keeps going straight.

When mowing, the finish mower is supported by the four tires at each corner, so it's not a big deal to lift it most of the time. Of course, the timest that I do have to lift it, I really need to do so. I'm either stuck, or traped in a situation that it's my only option.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #5  
I used a 6 foot Land Pride RFM on my B7800 without any problems. They rate the 6 foot for 16-30 HP

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #7  
I have a B7800 that is about the same size and HP as your 3030. I mow with a Woods PRD7200 72" RFM. It handles this mower easily. What has to be taken in to consideration is the weight of these mowers on the three point. My Kubota manual says 500 pounds max mower weight for the B7800 three point. My Woods PRD7200 weighs 710 pounds. Although my B7800 lifts this mower like a champ I think I am maxing out the three point lift. Some say engineers build in a "safety" factor in to a design. I have worked in manufacturing all my life and I can tell you that engineers don't build in a "safety" factor. 500 pounds max means 500 pounds max.

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #8  
I have some fairly hilly ground w/steep grades and certainly less than smooth and use a Woods PRD6000 on my B3030 without any problem. I sometimes let the grass/weeds get away from me and mow when it's close to hip high which requires mowing at max height, slow speed (travel not PTO) and double cutting helps too. It will bog down when the grass is that tall if I get agressive and impatient and try to rush the job. I have no doubt that you could use a 7' on your smooth level ground without any problem, but as the other poster said you do need to pay attention to the rated 3 point lift capacity. But I think for only 2 ac. of smooth level ground mowed on a fairly regular basis the 6' would be a better match and traveling at a fairly rapid speed wouldn't take very long to cut.

Last edited:
   / ? on Finish mower size used? #9  
Frankly, with 2 acres, I don't think you need a 7 footer. Mow often enough and you can mow at a decent rate of speed - I'd have no fear of mowing 2 acres with my 72" mmm. ANd I'd guess the extra sizze of the 7 footer would be outweighed by the extra awkwardness.

If you were mowing a football field daily, might be different

/ ? on Finish mower size used? #10  
A 6 footer will work, but whatever you do, don't let the grass get ahead of you.