Sickle Bar 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
   / 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #2  
Since nobody has replied yet, I will offer my opinion. Although I do not have any experience with a pull type mower, I think they are made more for mowing large fields. I think it would be very difficult to mow close to a hedge line or fence with one of these unless you want to clean it up with a weedeater after you use the sickle mower. I think you should get a 3-point mower, easier to mow close to stuff with them. They are hard to find, as I have been looking for one at a good price to mow a fencline on my property. I hope this helps.

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #3  
I have a 3pt and a pull type...
The pull type is very easy to hook up, you can get under a tree row easily & it's not too bad along a fence row. You will have problems getting around things and at corners where you need to turn. Easy hook up drop in a pin connect PTO hook up hydraulic hoses. Quick & Easy.

The 3pt is a bear to hook up but once it is attached I look all over to find things to mow, I even do my neighbors ditches on both sides just to justify the hassle of hooking it up... It is much more fun to use for close trimming than the other. You have to work to hook it up. NOT quick & definitely NOT easy. but way more handy to operate once your set.KennyV

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #4  
I've got a NH 456 that I use for my hay fields. It's easy to hook up and not bad to maneuver...as long as you remember that there is a delay between you turning and it turning. I can run right up to a fence line with it if I take it slow but it's easier to come back with a rotary mower for cleanup and I'm not leaving that much hay. I'd rather have the speed.

I am curious though, if you're not cutting ditches or hay....why on earth would you want one??? You're better off with a rotary mower that shreads the clippings and you don't have to worry about making caterpillars out of your dogs and cats. They're great mowers but fairly dangerous.

Last edited:
   / 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #5  
We have a NH pull behind mower almost like the one pictured but with a rope lift. It works great next to fences as long as you WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING! But like Mike120 says if your not mowing fields why have one?

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers
I've got a NH 456 that I use for my hay fields. It's easy to hook up and not bad to maneuver...as long as you remember that there is a delay between you turning and it turning. I can run right up to a fence line with it if I take it slow but it's easier to come back with a rotary mower for cleanup and I'm not leaving that much hay. I'd rather have the speed.

I am curious though, if you're not cutting ditches or hay....why on earth would you want one??? You're better off with a rotary mower that shreads the clippings and you don't have to worry about making caterpillars out of your dogs and cats. They're great mowers but fairly dangerous.

Here was my plan: The property I bought and the property I'll be mowing for a neighbor has about 1/2 mile of natural hedgerow about 10 feet high (stickers & brush) along the railroad tracks. I want to keep the brush back from the field to keep it looking neat and taking over the field. Rather than kill myself with a big weedeater & sawblade, I thought if I can run the sickle off the back of my cab tractor at a 90 degree angle to the ground, I could use it almost like a giant hedgeclipper to keep the brush from overgroing the field. Sitting in an AC cab would be a lot nicer than taking a beating from the weedeater. I also know there's demand from other neighboring properties for this type of work.

The property I bought is hayfield. Once the house & barn is built, I thought I would like to cut it with the sickle, then maybe rake & bail it for some hay. I use hay in my business for new lawn installation and it also gives me an agricultural use for my property.

The one I'm looking at is the NH 456 pull type with hydraulic angling on the sickle bar. Does this model sickle bar work at a 90* up as well as flat and angled down?

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #7  
NH451/456 will mow with the cutter bar @ roughly 30 degrees above horizontal if I recall correctly. I've got a 451 (had it for 38 years. GREAT mowers)

Take a look at what these folks have to offer. You might have to sell a kidney to afford what they sell, but here's the best specialty mowing equipment made IMHO.

Machinery for Highway Maintenance - Verge Mowing, Bank Mowing, Ditch Mowing, Barrier Mowers, Long Reach Mowers, Side Arm Flail Mowers, ATV Sprayer, Front Mounted Flail, Offset Flail Mowers, Multi Use Flails, 4 in 1 Flail Mowers

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers
NH451/456 will mow with the cutter bar @ roughly 30 degrees above horizontal if I recall correctly. I've got a 451 (had it for 38 years. GREAT mowers)

Take a look at what these folks have to offer. You might have to sell a kidney to afford what they sell, but here's the best specialty mowing equipment made IMHO.

Machinery for Highway Maintenance - Verge Mowing, Bank Mowing, Ditch Mowing, Barrier Mowers, Long Reach Mowers, Side Arm Flail Mowers, ATV Sprayer, Front Mounted Flail, Offset Flail Mowers, Multi Use Flails, 4 in 1 Flail Mowers

You pretty sure about that? Good thing you told me that because 30 deg won't work. I need ~90 deg (perpendicular to ground).

I almost bought the thing!!

/ 3 pt & pull type sickle mowers #9  
You pretty sure about that? Good thing you told me that because 30 deg won't work. I need ~90 deg (perpendicular to ground).

I almost bought the thing!!

www.gribaldisalvia.com/lato_utente/.../prodotti.php?lang

A Gribaldi & Salvia Superior sickle mower will cut up to 90 degrees. They are made in Italy. They are sold in the USA. The cutter bar has a double action like a hedge trimmer when they cut.