Massey-Ferguson MF-54 Backhoe SWING CYLINDER

/ Massey-Ferguson MF-54 Backhoe SWING CYLINDER #1  

Janner

Hello, I am working on a MF-40 tractor that has a MF-54 backhoe on it. The backhoe (Cessna) swing cylinder top seal leaks fluid. Otherwise, the hoe works fine, so, I'm trying to replace the top seal without removing the swing cylinder from the unit. Following the manual instructions, it tells me to remove the bolt and large nut from the bottom of the unit, THEN remove the pin part way from the top of the unit. This allows the top plate of the swing cylinder to be lifted off for seal replacement.

PROBLEM: I don't see a bolt on the bottom with the large nut. I have removed the two retainer bolts from the top pin, BUT THE PIN WILL NOT BUDGE.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I MIGHT DO TO REMOVE THE TOP PIN?

THANK YOU!

/ Massey-Ferguson MF-54 Backhoe SWING CYLINDER #2  
Hello Janner and welcome to TBN.
Pictures would really help here. If you have a stuck pin especially on an older tractor, you might have to soak it with penetrating oil for a couple/few days.

Andy

/ Massey-Ferguson MF-54 Backhoe SWING CYLINDER #3  
Hello, I am working on a MF-40 tractor that has a MF-54 backhoe on it. The backhoe (Cessna) swing cylinder top seal leaks fluid. Otherwise, the hoe works fine, so, I'm trying to replace the top seal without removing the swing cylinder from the unit. Following the manual instructions, it tells me to remove the bolt and large nut from the bottom of the unit, THEN remove the pin part way from the top of the unit. This allows the top plate of the swing cylinder to be lifted off for seal replacement.

PROBLEM: I don't see a bolt on the bottom with the large nut. I have removed the two retainer bolts from the top pin, BUT THE PIN WILL NOT BUDGE.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I MIGHT DO TO REMOVE THE TOP PIN?

THANK YOU!

I have the same hoe attachment on my MF 50 A. The top seal started leaking when the hoe turned to the right. I think someone else answered your question about how to get the pin out, but I have a friend who is a retired crane mechanic and is an expert on hydraulics. He has removed the cylinder and we are attempting to get parts for it. There are two pressure relief valve cartridges in the top of the cylinder underneath large bolt/caps. My friend believes that the relief valve for swing to the right is bad because when he took it out, the relief psi is stamped on the cartridge and it is rated at 1750 psi and if it has failed, it is possible that too much pressure is going into that circuit which in turn blew the seal. We are putting all new seals and O rings in the upper plate including new O rings for the cushioning mechanism. Once we get new relief valves, which we are having trouble finding, he will do a line pressure check of each circuit to make sure the valves are opening at 1750 psi because we don't want to blow the top seals again. Just replacing the top seal will probably not compleltely solve your seal leaking problem.

Skip

/ Massey-Ferguson MF-54 Backhoe SWING CYLINDER #4  
MF54  2.jpgMF54.jpgMF54  1.jpg Call Robinson Equipment, 3030 Cuyler Street, MIMS, FLORIDA 32754, ph# 321-248-3438 or office@robinsonequip.com for seals and parts