driveway grader/leveler

/ driveway grader/leveler #1  

R W Mowry

I have a 25 hp Kioti tractor & I am looking to build a 3 pt driveway drag. If any one has any ideas please let me know

/ driveway grader/leveler #2  
my dad made one that he pulls behind his bobcat that is 3 grader cutting edges bolted to gether in a triangle and pulled with a chain but you could pout a 3pt mount on it.

/ driveway grader/leveler #3  
This is a drag I built out of some scrap steel I had laying around. The sides are just under 5' long and are 8" channel Iron. The blades are from a piece or 10" wide flange I beam that I cut the web out of making 2 flat pieces. The remaining web section (where it flares out at the flange) acts as a reinforcing rib. The front blade I cut teeth into which I ended up reinforcing with some 1/2x1/2 square bar stock (not in picture) to break up the gravel surface. Both blades are set about 1" below the sides to allow it to cut a little. The rear blade is smooth and will hold a good bucket full of loose gravel as I am dragging. The 3 point piece is hinged and attached with chains to allow me to lift it up and also allow it to float with the driveway. I have a grader blade, box blade, and rock rake and none works as well as this little baby. I have over 1500 feet of driveway to maintain and if this thing went down I would order the steel and build another exactly like it the next day. My only complaint is that a certain size rock will stick in the front teeth every once in a while and keep it from cutting well. I don't know if tapering the teeth would help or not. I intended to add a weight box to add weight but it cuts well enough, and carries enough gravel that I think with weight it may not work as well.

Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 20,184
  • DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,093
  • DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 7,806
  • DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 5,384
   / driveway grader/leveler #4  
I've seen a lot of driveway grading posts here, but I don't remember seeing one with a toothed cutting bar yet. After reading the previous post twice, I see that you cut these teeth. They look so uniform that I thought you had found a used grader off a motor grader that already had teeth. That's a pretty cool grader.

Mr. Mowry, are you already using something to grade your drive and just want something better?

/ driveway grader/leveler #5  
Thanks for the compliment. I used a beer can. Trace the radius, set the can down, cut the piece, drink another. Took me two days. LOL There was a lot of torch work in that baby, I will admit.

/ driveway grader/leveler #6  
tessiers, I did not realize you cut the teeth with a torch either. Just by looking at the pictures the width of the grader seems to be 5'-6'. Is this correct? How well does your 790 pull it. How much wider do you think one like yours could be made and still be pulled by a 790?

/ driveway grader/leveler #7  
It is a little over 5' wide like 5' 4" or so. When the driveway is hard and dry I could haul an 8 footer because it doesn't seam to hold as much gravel in it. When the driveway is soft in the spring I could probably get away with a 6 footer. I actually try to drag the driveway shortly after a rain (no standing water) because the gravel is a little looser and it seams to level off faster. I made it the size it is because of the materials I had on hand. My grand total investment in it was $0, at least the day I built it. I obviously had some gas, rods and electricity in it but all the steel was off my scrap pile.

/ driveway grader/leveler #8  
I made mine from three Guard rail post that the state road left on my farm, and some rail road spikes. with some junk collected from a local junk yard. I think I had about $40 in it.
Is for gravel drive way.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 4,284
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    903.2 KB · Views: 7,428
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    838.2 KB · Views: 9,640
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 8,244
   / driveway grader/leveler #9  
Here is a link to my homemade equipment. I am working on a smaller and different design right now. After I get the bugs worked out I will post pics.
Homemade equipment.

/ driveway grader/leveler #10  
Chances, That is some nice workmanship there. Really liked the steel face roller.