MF Plough

/ MF Plough #1  

giacomo

Recently I bought an MF 345 reset plough at an auction. The name plate is gone off it so I have no idea what the serial # is, but it has hydraulic rams on each share.

When I hooked it up to the tractor, and tried to use it, the blades kick up as soon as they start to bite into the dirt - seems like there is no pressure in the hydraulics on the plough. (the tractor hydraulics are fine, I use them all the time for other attachments)

There is a thing like a small air tank sits on top of the plough, with a gauge on it, and a line from that to the hydraulic take-off on the back of the tractor. There is some faded lettering, something like " use dry n.....something only." The gauge is at 0. When I first hooked it up, there was creamy yellow foam came oozing out of the tank.

Anybody know what I have, or tell me what I can do to fix?

Last edited:
   / MF Plough
OK, what does it accumulate? and any thoughts as to how I get this plough to work properly?
Should there be something in the accumulator that acts somehow on the plough hydraulics to keep the shares working in the dirt, or do I need to add weight behind?

/ MF Plough #4  
I would start with taking some good pictures, that should help to ID the thing. Try to get a manual or visit the local MF Dealer and see if they can tell you something about the plow. If indeed that is a accumulator and it does take dry nitrogen there will be some tools you'll need to recharge the thing. If it's not leaking, that is. You'll need the pressure guage/regulator and a bottle of dry nitrogen to recharge it. It might be a project to load up and take to a good hydraulics shop to get recharged. bjr

/ MF Plough #5  
Google "accumulator" regarding hydraulics. It serves as sort of a "shock absorber reservoir" on that plow.