Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #1  

Fxfymn

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HST, FEL; Kubota BX2660
While helping a neighbor grade out a large pile of dirt I bent the right curl cylinder piston quite badly.:mad:I was using the bucket to pull dirt that was mixed with broken concrete and block from the pile and than to rake the concrete pieces from the dirt by curling the bucket down so the teeth dragged on the ground. None of the concrete pieces were so large that I couldn't pick them up by hand.

I have had this tractor six years and have owned CUT's for 20 years. I frequently use the bucket in a curled down position to rake out material and I have never had any damage before today.

I remember feeling a pull on the loader, but nothing so severe that it caused me to stop working. When I finished a pull from the pile I tried to curl the bucket back up when hydraulic fluid started leaking. Assuming I had cut a hose I got off to look and was quite suprised to find the right curl cylinder rod bent down at least six inches.

The dealer quoted $600.00 plus for a new cylinder or $425.00 plus for a new rod, seals, and gland. Since welded cylinders that match quite closely are around $85.00 to $160.00 at Baileys I'm probably going to go with them for a replacement unit. My initial reaction is to replace both cylinders since the replacement cylinder is not exactly the same length as the original.

There is no damage to the left curl cylinder, nor to any other part of the loader.

Two questions: Anyone else ever bend a tilt cylinder? Has anyone ever used an aftermarket cylinder to replace a Kubota cylinder and if so what did you use?

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #2  
It's been talked about quite a bit on the forum try some searches and warning in the manual. Iwas surprised too when I first read it here.

You can do it, but the more curled down the higher the risk.

I tried raking back the other day with it partially curled and it was useless but I didn't risk it and used the box blade.

If you don't have a box blade get one.

They are cheap and work great for spreading grading.

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #3  
There was a thread a few months ago about a member who bent the curl cylinders on his M series (I think). He only bent them a little and was able to straighten them as I recall. I was unaware of this hazard as well and have since stopped using that technique. I now do all of my back-dragging and grading with the heel of the bucket, with the bucket fully curled up.

Matt.

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #4  
I have also read about this, you would not believe how a 4in1 bucket open and back dragging will load things up. I have not ever had a problem nor considered that as a real potential possibility BUT I've read about others having this happen... ??
If you use another cylinder you should use matched pairs... with the prices you have found get a pair.KennyV

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #5  
I have done this with all my tractors with FEL's and so far never had any damage. Guess I will be a bit more careful. I just bought a Ratchet rake and I believe it will do this same job without the arms being so far extended. Another use for the Ratchet Rake.

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #7  
Just a thought out of left field, but you may consider making a sleeve to go over the extended rod. I see that allot as a safety measure so that a cylinder can't retract and drop on someone. You may consider if for the one application of dragging. If you put a tube over the cylinder (tube has a slot), retract the rod until tight, then you can't bend the rod. It would have to be designed and fabricated. Just an idea.

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader
Thanks guys.

After I cooled down and gave it more rational thought I'm positive I must have moved forward and hit a concealed piece of concrete with the bucket curled down. You know how it is when you have been operating the loader for hours, it becomes automatic and thoughtless. That's the only way the cylinder could bend down.

I disconnected and plugged the hydraulic lines so I can use the tractor while I wait for parts. After removing the cylinder I'm pretty sure I bunged up the cylinder as well as the rod, so a re-build is out of the question.

I ordered two cylinders from Baileys and they should be here today according to FedEx. I'll let you know how they work out.

I do have a box, but it wouldn't work real well on the pile we were working on.

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader #9  
Thanks guys.

After I cooled down and gave it more rational thought I'm positive I must have moved forward and hit a concealed piece of concrete with the bucket curled down. You know how it is when you have been operating the loader for hours, it becomes automatic and thoughtless. That's the only way the cylinder could bend down.

I disconnected and plugged the hydraulic lines so I can use the tractor while I wait for parts. After removing the cylinder I'm pretty sure I bunged up the cylinder as well as the rod, so a re-build is out of the question.

I ordered two cylinders from Baileys and they should be here today according to FedEx. I'll let you know how they work out.

I do have a box, but it wouldn't work real well on the pile we were working on.

Does your bucket have stops? The FEL on my 3940 has stops but the loader on my 7500 does not. A lack of stops will allow the force to pull the cylinder over center and bow it.

/ Bent Curl Cylinder on LA723 Loader
"Does your bucket have stops? The FEL on my 3940 has stops but the loader on my 7500 does not. A lack of stops will allow the force to pull the cylinder over center and bow it."

Funny you should mention that. After I installed the new cylinders I noticed that the rods hit the end of the loader arms and had actually pushed the top of the loader arms down. After that I noticed there was a 1" gap between the stops, which explains how the cylinder would take the force instead of the loader arms. I'm sure they were installed incorrectly at the factory and I just never noticed before. I'll be welding some steel into the gap tomorrow.

I replaced the bent cylinder with an aftermarket unit from Baileys. It was a surplus unit that cost me $85.00 each. Since the price was so low I bought and installed two so the dimensions would match.

After FedEx rode around with the cylinders on their truck for two days I finally got them last night. I was quite pleasently suprised when I opened the boxes to find that they were painted Kubota orange. I don't know if they are Kubota surplus, but the paint is a dead-on match.

The cylinders were easy to install. I picked up the appropriate fittings at a local hydraulic shop to make the lines fit, and fit the cylinders to the tractor. The only modification required was the need to grind the piston's sleeve about 1/4" narrower to fit the loader arms.

The part number from Baileys is 116-887.

They work great and now all that's left to do is to repair the stops.