Spreader PTO HP for Manure Spreader

/ PTO HP for Manure Spreader #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm in the market for a compact tractor/loader whose main job will be to pull an 80-bushel H & S manure spreader. I've been told by one dealer that I'll need at least a 30 HP PTO, and by another that a 25 HP PTO will do the job. Any wisdom out there as to which is closest to being right?

/ PTO HP for Manure Spreader #2  
If your tractor can handle it you don't need hardly any hp to pull a manure spreader. The 25 hp pto should be fine.

/ PTO HP for Manure Spreader #3  
Let's see...80 bushels is about 100 cu ft.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.millcreekmfg.com/index.cfm?ProductID=5&do=detail>Mill Creek Mfg</A> sells a 96 cu ft, PTO driven manure spreader that weighs 1,325 pounds. They recommend a 25 hp tractor.

/ PTO HP for Manure Spreader #4  
25 PTO HP is likely all that is needed, but remember that the spreader itself is probably around 1000lb, and when you get it full of manure it will probably weigh closer to 2000 - 2500 lb, so if you have slopes, you might need to consider something large enough to safely tow this much weight around without being pushed around.

/ PTO HP for Manure Spreader #5  
The H&S 80 is available in ground drive. Then its not as muich of an issue with the PTO out of the picture.