Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ????

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #1  

shinnlinger

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2850
Hi,

Lean Hay year in NH and I have more open land than fenced land but not the time to fence.

Have any of you experienced the portable fence units and solar chargers like premier one? Are there other/better brands? How many people do you need to move a unit? How practical is it to move a fence with the sheep still in?

Thanks in advance.

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #2  
Shinnlinger - - I purchased the 20" netting from Premier last fall use keep rabbits, etc. out of my vegetable garden. The previous season, I lost all my snap beans to some varmit, I assume rabbits. The netting did the trick. I ran two lengths of fence off of one energizer, solar charged. Unfortunately, the original battery they supplied seemed too small - - it died about the time my corn matured, & I shared my small corn plot with some small critters. They replaced the battery with a larger one, but I have not set it up yet. I still need to till under what's left from spring & plant for fall.

For the netting I use, one person can take up & move by himself, although a 2nd set of hands makes it easier. However, the fencing/netting for sheep is probably higher & heavier than my 20" netting.

I found the sales & support staff at Premier helpful & courteous...however, I think you save a little if you order over the net.

good luck.

Jack

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #3  
I use their electrified netting for my chickens. It is about 150' long and I can move it myself...not real easy but doable. Its about 42" high. They ship a lot of stuff for free if you order online. the charger I have i got from premier almost 20 years ago and I run it off a car battery that I put on the charger once a week. The fence is difficult to move if the ground is very dry...its hard to pull up and even harder to stick back in. Also, you need a grounding rod. The one I have I pound in the ground with a heavy hammer and use a boom pole on my tractor with a chain to pull up. I think AC chargers are better if you have way to run the wire to your fence. Then you can just use a grounding rod near the charger and not have to move it with your fence.

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #4  
I had better luck, when I had sheep, with a single strand of barbed wire stretched to an anchored post on the perimeter of a pasture. These fences I didn't move. I would cross-fence with the light electric fence wire, but when the fleece grew longer, those light wires did not do the job that barbed wire did. I used a Gallagher solar charger, and I really liked it. I bought it 30 years ago, and I still used it with my cows.
Butch

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #5  
We've used Premier's portable fence with both a solar and a plug-in charger. Like the others said, you can move it yourself, but it's better with 2 people. And you need to be pretty careful to roll it up nice and straight -- it can be a monster to get untwisted if you put it away in a hurry!

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #6  
+1 on the Premiere fencing. We have 3 150' sections that we use along the highway right of way, to section of a pasture for "new" momma's, make puppy pens, and so many other uses. Actually, once zapped by it they stay away. So "charging" them is most often not even necessary.............Good luck......Dennis

/ Portable Electric Sheep Fencing ???? #7  
Greetings, Glad to find you, looks like you know something about electric fencing. We have a bad bear here took one of the girls does, the next day killed another. I got a ***** *** that drove it off. We have the area lit now, fence ridged with nail boards, big rocks around the bottom. I've slept in the barn but he must know I'm there and won't come up to the wire. Just over a week now. He comes up to the fence by the trees, we see his prints in the morning. I've done every thing but electric fence. What do you think about adding hot wire to the fence? Have you been up against anything like this? Im thinking most people are dealing with rabbits, deer and coyote. Richard