Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #1  

pinotfilmnoir

Hello All,
I have a Ford 1910 Tractor with some PTO clutch issues. I purchased this tractor last year for $8900 up in Washington. When I push the clutch down all the way the PTO does not disengage. It still spins. The only way to engage and disengage the PTO is via the shifting lever but I do not want to destroy the coupling or bushings in there. So if I want to run an implement I have to start the tractor with the PTO engaged. This is hard on the starter but it works. Luckily I don't have many big implements to use. I have heard of these clutches getting frozen if they are not used very much Yet, I assume that maybe one or two of the fingers on the clutch are broken. I am not sure. If anyone of you has had this problem or is familiar with this tractor, please leave a message. I know that I may have to split the tractor.

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #2  
Hello All,
I have a Ford 1910 Tractor with some PTO clutch issues. When I push the clutch down all the way the PTO does not disengage. It still spins . I know that I may have to split the tractor.

When you get it split, you can diagnose it. There are several possibilities, including a worn transmission clutch disc.

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #3  
G'day and welcome to TBN, before you split the tractor get a hold of a workshop manual and check to make sure the clutch is adjusted properly i am not familiar with that model but there may be an internal adj that may need looking at. Best of luck with it and keep us informed of any developments:)

Jon

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #4  
We have a 1900 that had a similar problem. It seems this tractor has a two-stage clutch. The second stage (evidently a separate disk) was "frozen" (rusted in place). This disk is only released when the clutch pedal is fully pressed down. The main disk releases just before this point.

If you have checked the adjustment and it is correct or does not fix the problem you may have a frozen disk.

The shop we took it to had a device that applies pressure to the PTO, thus "breaking the clutch free". It worked and now, so does the clutch.

The shop said we could have tried to break it free ourselves if we had a way to hold the PTO while engaging the clutch. Something like letting the bushhog blade bury in dirt. This should either break the clutch free, stall the tractor or break the shear-pin on the mower.

It may be worth a try before you split the tractor.

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #5  
Or brake a gear in the trans is the shear pin doesn't give.
Bill

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #6  
Like I said, we had ours at a shop.

As they explained it, they have a device just for this very thing. They connect it to the PTO. Then, with the PTO engaged, they increase the hydraulic pressure the system uses until either the clutch breaks lose or the tractor stalls.

Evidently, the tool is designed to give before a gear can break.

You may check with tractor shops in your area and see if they have such a tool and what they charge.

Believe me, breaking the tractor is not really a fun way to spend the weekend (We have ours apart now getting a new clutch)

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #7  
Like I said, we had ours at a shop.

As they explained it, they have a device just for this very thing. They connect it to the PTO. Then, with the PTO engaged, they increase the hydraulic pressure the system uses until either the clutch breaks lose or the tractor stalls.
It is called a PTO dynamometer. Any reasonably well equipped tractor dealer will have one.
Evidently, the tool is designed to give before a gear can break.
I doubt that anyone using a dynomometer to free a stuck clutch would guarantee that. Shock loading is an important element of freeing a stuck clutch disc from the outside of the tractor.

You may check with tractor shops in your area and see if they have such a tool and what they charge.

Believe me, breaking the tractor is not really a fun way to spend the weekend (We have ours apart now getting a new clutch)

But unless the disc is only lightly stuck, splitting the tractor is most often the best answer in the long run. And there are other causes besides a stuck disc for a clutch to not disengage.

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #8  
Hi, splitting a tractor case is no fun. If the pto disc is rusted to plates (most likely) you may try this. Put your bush hog on and find a thick clump of grass/dirt lift hog up and with rpm up and clutch full pressed let hog blade down on clump fast.
Before you do this make sure your drive shaft shear bolt is sized right or better yet get one a size smaller, grade one or less in quality.
In the future when storing the tractor, especially in the winter, block the clutch down to keep both clutch disc in a float position.
Note, most clutch disc have metallic strands woven into the lining, this is where the rust comes from.

cheers,
keoke

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #9  
We have a 1910,and it was the same way.The clutch was just out of adjustment.There may be no need to split the cases,I would check the adjustment first,as the main clutch wears and is adjusted,if the pto clutch isnt adjusted with it,it will not disengage. I actually intentionally "unadjusted" it again,so my guys couldnt engnage it with it running.They are engaging my blower at high RPMS,and shock loading the belts.20 yrs of running the 1910,the starter is still original,and Ive used it this way the whole time other than a week or 2.

/ Ford 1910 PTO Clutch Issues #10  
We have a 1910,and it was the same way.The clutch was just out of adjustment.There may be no need to split the cases,I would check the adjustment first,as the main clutch wears and is adjusted,if the pto clutch isnt adjusted with it,it will not disengage. I actually intentionally "unadjusted" it again,so my guys couldnt engnage it with it running.They are engaging my blower at high RPMS,and shock loading the belts.20 yrs of running the 1910,the starter is still original,and Ive used it this way the whole time other than a week or 2.

I have a 2120 tractor with dual clutch. Is there any opening that the internal adjustments can be made (I know that there are 3 bolts with jam nuts which shoul be adjusted to have about 1.1 mm clearance )? In my case I had to take off all clearances in the external linkage and adjust the clutch pedal to have only 1/2" or so free play in order for my PTO clutch to disengage. With more free play my clutch pedal fully depressed does not disengage the PTO clutch. I assume due to wear of the transmission clutch disk that clearance is now quite larger.

Thank you