Oil & Fuel Ford 1600 Oil Pressure

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #1  

scorpion210

I have a 1600 that just had the oil pressure light come on. I changed the oil and filter and the light went off for about 20 seconds but came back on. I have an oil pressure switch on order. I was wondering if anyone knew what the normal operating pressure should be for this tractor? I was going to try and find a gauge to put in where the switch goes to try and get a reading.

The top end was rebuilt about a year and a half ago and this is the first issue that I have had. I don't have any excessive leaks, just very minor seepage at the case while it is running. The oil pressure switch was changed about a year ago because the old one was stating leaking oil. I matched one up at auto zone...maybe it was junk. The one I have on order now is from a Ford/new Holland dealer.

Any ideas on the normal oil pressure?

Thanks

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #2  
I have a 1700, but havent had oil pressure problems, and just a light instead of a guage. But if I had to guess on the proper oil pressure, I would say between 20 and 50 psi. If your motor is tight and lower hours, I would expect it to be in the higher range, with a small drop when its at operating temp. If the motor is wore out from hard use and high hours, then it will be lower. As long as it holds steady around 20 or 30 when its hot your probably ok. I have the crappy IT manual at home I can look it up (if that is in there) and report back. Good Luck TB

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #3  
Oh, and how about a picture of the 1600, can you post one? Thanks TB

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #4  
Scorpion,

The pressure sending unit on my 1700 is a normally closed pressure switch. That probably is similar with 1600 but can't tell for sure. The switch is either open(pressure) or closed(no pressure). The signal is not analog so it can not operate an analog dial and only does an idiot light. I'd check the the sending unit by using a test light or ohmmeter. The test light should illuminate if you ground the center post of the device with the engine off. The base of the the sending device is made out of clay:eek: in my 1700 so it is an insulator. Upon engine start or pressure the switch opens up turning off the idiot light on the dash. I opened mine up and can see the crud built up can effect the operation of switch or the if the switch internal diaphragm is leaking. Replacement pressure switch is around $23 from the NH and replacement is made out of plastic base rather than painted clay. I don't know what the oil pressure should be at given engine rpm but can probably look it up. I have the same cheesy IT manual that Tex has as well.

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure
I was going to try and put a gauge on it to see if I do in fact have low pressure but I was trying to find out what the proper range was. I will put the new switch in later this week when it comes in.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #6  
I'm not sure why you needed a hard in stone number.. figure a cheap 10$ autozone (sunpro) 0-100 psi gauge and you should be good to go... reguardless if I had a new sender on order or not.. at this point.. IMHO.. I'd want to know what my oil pressure physically was. I know plenty of people that 'T' the line and run both an idiot lamp and a gauge. I've seen some senders with very liberal opening pressures.. like 6psi.. etc..

soundguy

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #7  
I the oil pressure switch npt or is it some other thread.
Bill

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #8  
I the oil pressure switch npt or is it some other thread.
Bill

It is not NPT. it is fine thread metric, it eyballs 10 mm but i'm not suer

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure
Yes it is metric.

I was looking for a normal range such as 30 - 50. When I put the gauge on and it reads 15 then I know I have an internal problem but if the normal range is 10 -30 then I know I am ok. This is why I was looking for the normal operating range.

I may try the "T" and install the switch and gauge.

Thanks

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #10  
more is better.. though not so much as to be excessive.

on any old tractor I like to see 20-60 in general terms. I'm not sure what the specs were on that machine new.. but it's one of those 'feel' things. if at idle you are at 6psi..and it goes to 20 at throttle you -KNOW- you have a problem.. if at idle you have 15 psi, and at throttle it goes to 25 you know you have a worn engine that still has some time left in it.. etc. if it starts at 20-30 and goes to 50-60 then you can reasonably be sure it's ok.. as long as hot numbers don't drastically drop .. etc.

ie.. you are looking at cold idle, cold throttle, hot idle, and hot throttle numbers.... and then making your decision..

soundguy