a new to me BCS 737

/ a new to me BCS 737 #1  

farmallmann

i need some info on this tractor. horse power ...... Any thing anyone can tell me about it would be great. thanks

/ a new to me BCS 737 #3  
Hey,

Congrats on your new machine! The 737 was made in the early 90's. It, along with it's sister machine, the 605, were the first BCSs to have instant reverse. The red lever between the two brake levers engaged reverse when squeezed. The T-bar on top of that handle engages the differential lock. if you release the lock, you can use the brakes to Turn-on-a-dime. Early machines (10000-14275) still had the 18mm spline drive PTO. Later machines had a larger 25mm shaft. This was done because all the attachments were getting larger and BCS was getting some warranty claims of twisted PTO shafts. Joel at Earth tools told me the 30 inch rough cut mower was the biggest culprit. The larger spline PTO was was dropped for a 3 dog PTO with the new series in 1995. I don't know if there is an adpater for 25mm to 18 mm or 25 mm to 3 dog. If your machine is 25 mm, you'll need to talk to Joel to find out your options if you want to put any other attachments on it. His site is Earthtoolsbcs.com

Your engine is probably an Acme 10 horse gas or 8 horse Diesel. If it's not running or not easily fixed, you may be money ahead to buy an adapter and newer engine. Joel is the only person I know that still supports Acme engines. They exited the US market in the early 90s. They were supposedly very good engines, but I have no experience with them.

They're great machines. Let us know if you need more info.

Bill in WI

/ a new to me BCS 737
thanks for the info
the piston conecting rod is broke im gonna check on parts
agian thanks for the help

/ a new to me BCS 737 #5  
Acme parts are expensive. You may be better off buying a used motor from a pressure sprayer (make sure it has a 1" straight shaft) or buying a new motor in the 9 hp to 13 hp range. You will need a new clutch to fit the motor as the Acme motor has the European style short tapered shaft. You can get a good package deal (motor and clutch) from Earthtools or the BCS Shop.

With a new modern motor and proper care your 737 will likely last another 20+ years.
Bill in NC

/ a new to me BCS 737
Ok im looking for a good buy in a 13 horse honda engine now. In the mean time what oil should i replace the the drive train oil with and the tiller gear box. Thanks for the info

/ a new to me BCS 737 #7  
You should absolutely change the oils. Oil is a VERY cheap alternative to a failed transmission on gearbox. While you're at it, check to see if the seals are bad. You'll see a lot of oil residue around the gearbox and the gearbox will be empty if a seal is leaking. The tines should have a square end to them. If they're pointy like a steak knife, they need replacing.

John a BCS shop sells a CD with all owner and shop manuals, along with complete parts breakdowns. It's around 10 bucks and worth it at three times the price.

Joel at Earth Tools will sell you a 13 horse Briggs with the clutch and adapter you'll need for 750 bucks. You'll need the clutch and adapter regardless of where you get an engine, since yours had an Acme engine. You don't need that big an engine for most applications. I can do almost everything with my 8 HP 730 that I can do with my 14 HP 850. In fact I wish I didn't have that fuel hog on my 850.

I'm assuming you bought the one Leichester. That was a great deal on a BCS and you can afford to put some money in it. I called on it but was too far away to seal the deal.

/ a new to me BCS 737
Yea im the one who bought that one it was about 10 miles from my house. I ordered an enigine and clutchtoday cant wait to get it installed. I would like some suggestions for what kind of oil and weight to fill the trans and tiller box with. thanks for the help

/ a new to me BCS 737
Just got it all together. Everything looks good but 3rd gear slips if you pull agianst it. The brakes are a little weak. Gonna mess with it some more in the daylight. Anyone have any ideas about the 3rd gear thanks