B7100 test glow plugs

/ B7100 test glow plugs #1  

masscity

Gold Member
Tractor
L3540HSTC-3 B7100DT Ferguson TO-35
I had some trouble starting my B7100 last winter, so I decided to check out the glow plugs.

I tested them one at a time and each glowed bright red. Or do I have to test them with all three hooked at the same time.

thanks

/ B7100 test glow plugs #2  
I just asked one of my shop guys about that and he said they test them one at a time off a battery charger, so I think you're good to go on the plugs.

/ B7100 test glow plugs
Thanks Bob. I was thinking that it would be ok. I'm going to clean up all the connections and I should be good to go.

/ B7100 test glow plugs #4  
I had some trouble starting my B7100 last winter, so I decided to check out the glow plugs.

I tested them one at a time and each glowed bright red. Or do I have to test them with all three hooked at the same time.

thanks

You don't say what the temp is or how long you glow this thing. Is this new to you or have you had it a while??

The B7100 needs a lot more glow time than the newer ones.

/ B7100 test glow plugs #5  
I know my 7100 is not an easy start in the winter. I installed a lower radiator hose heater and that makes starting much, much easier if you plug it in 30-45mins before you need it. I think I paid $25 at a car parts place for the heater.

/ B7100 test glow plugs
I probably wasn't clear when I first posted.

I removed all three glow plugs, I hooked up each one at a time to the incoming glow plug wire, grounded it and turned the ignition left to preheat.

At about 15 seconds each glow plug would become bright red.

I bought this tractor brand new 30 some years ago. Except for last winter it has always been a good starter.

Maybe I had some bad fuel or something. I use one those magnetic oil pan heaters, which helps.

I've thought about one of those bottom radiator hose heaters, but I thought it would be too hard to install. Not much hose down there.

Thanks again.

/ B7100 test glow plugs #7  
I just placed my order for a lower radiator hose heater for my B6100. I'll let you know how the install goes.