Where to find roller for logging chain?

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

Today I tried to pick up a 2,300 pound outdoor wood boiler using the FEL on my John Deere 3020. I was unable to lift the boiler with the chain attached to one side of the bucket. However, this worked: I attached one end of the chain to the crossbar that runs between the two arms of the loader and which sits behind the bucket. The chain ran from the crossbar over the top of the bucket and then hung down below the front cutting edge on the bucket. I hooked onto the boiler and then curled the bucket upwards and was then able to lift the stove.

However, the links of the chain would hang up on the front cutting edge of the bucket and then would "pop" as they broke loose and slid past the edge. By curling the bucket, I was in affect shortening the chain. By attaching the chain in the center of the bucket I think I made the most affective use of both hydraulic cylinders.

I have to lift the boiler one more time next to set it in place.

What I would like to do is find some kind of steel roller about 8 - 10 inches wide that could be clamped to the cutting edge of the bucket. That way, the chain could roll smoothly over the edge (on top of the roller) as I curl the bucket up. I didn't see any kind of roller on Northern Tools web site that would work. Anyone know where I could find such a thing?

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #2  
why not use a 12" scrap of 6-8" plastic sewer pipe?
slit one side with a chainsaw or table saw, pry it open, and slide it over your cutting edge.

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #3  
Or, (this is going in an entirely different direction), you might look into welding a hook or two onto the top lip of your bucket. Thus eliminating the need for the roller.

Aaron A

/ Where to find roller for logging chain?
Or, (this is going in an entirely different direction), you might look into welding a hook or two onto the top lip of your bucket. Thus eliminating the need for the roller.

Aaron A

Hi Aaron,

The tractor already has hooks on the bucket and what I thought was interesting is that when I used the hooks on the bucket it couldn't lift the boiler. Hydraulics weren't strong enough.

Must be something different in how the leverage is applied by using the fixed cross member as an anchor instead of the bucket.

why not use a 12" scrap of 6-8" plastic sewer pipe?
slit one side with a chainsaw or table saw, pry it open, and slide it over your cutting edge.

Clever. That might work. At least for the cutting edge. I was going to put a second roller on the flat part of the top of the bucket towards the rear, too. If I could find the rollers, that is.

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #6  
The tractor already has hooks on the bucket and what I thought was interesting is that when I used the hooks on the bucket it couldn't lift the boiler. Hydraulics weren't strong enough.
Must be something different in how the leverage is applied by using the fixed cross member as an anchor instead of the bucket.

Interesting. If that is the case, I would recommend slitting a pipe and putting it over the edge of the bucket as another poster suggested, but with a 2-4" piece of steel pipe (not PVC, I think you would snap a PVC pipe in under a minute).

Aaron Z

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #7  

It's a simple pulley system. See Pulley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at diagram 2. The "pulley" in this case is the edge of your bucket. Curling your bucket up an inch raises the boiler less than an inch, thus you have a mechanical advantage.

It's a simple pulley system. See Pulley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at diagram 2. The "pulley" in this case is the edge of your bucket. Curling your bucket up an inch raises the boiler less than an inch, thus you have a mechanical advantage.

Right on. I was thinking about it a little while ago and all of a sudden a light bulb went on in the old noggin. The bucket is acting almost like a fulcrum. As you pointed out, it has a mechanical advantage.

I'd like to rig something up to be able to take advantage of that in the future.

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #9  
I used a farmer's tractor to pull a couple of trees against the lean last year. He had a hook welded in the back of the bucket. I didn't notice if he had reinforced the bucket back there. Worked great and I can't see any drawbacks to it.

/ Where to find roller for logging chain? #10  
Maybe one of the rollers that you see on boat trailers? Might need to look around to get one heavy duty enough.

CE10403G_1000.jpg