Holland transplanter or other tobacco setter

/ Holland transplanter or other tobacco setter #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
Has anyone here ever used a Holland transplantor or tobaco setter? This comming spring I will have another couple acres ready to market garden on and need some help transplanting. My nieghbor travels up to Kentucky alot and says theirs several forsale in his area fairly cheap. I plan on having around 1200 to 2000 tomato set in the green house plus about 3000 pepper plants. He says that a tobacco setter will work on those two plants pretty well. Im building soil right now or I would build a mulch layer and a poker type setter. I think a tobacco setter is similar to what a pepper setter once was when pimentos were a big thing.
The rest of my stuff will be set out with a Covington planter.

/ Holland transplanter or other tobacco setter #2  
is the transplanter your looking at a mechanical one or one that a person would ride on and set the plants in the hole( 1 they had was adapted from being a horse drawn unit)? when i was in my teens i worked on a farm and they had both types, and a couple of sizes. i mostly rode on the setter type i believe, it had big bins where the flats of plants would be, also a tank w/ water, and you sat in a seat real low to the ground and there were 2 seats on the 2 row side by side, in front of that was a plow that would make a trench and then behind the plow were the wheels w/ about 3in long cups which were set to a certain spacing for the plant you were planting, when the cups got close to you you would drop a transplant into it and as it went around it would set it. planting by hand was a pain when we had to do it but this was def a better way to go, we always planted into bare soil so i'm not sure about using the poker type. the place i worked at was a fairly good sized farm they specialized mostly in sweet corn, as it was in the ct river valley which has tremendous soils and is noted for shade tobacco, and they had a contract w/ a large supermarket chain in our area. they however grew vegetables and pumpkins as well.

Last edited:
   / Holland transplanter or other tobacco setter
This one is a factory 3 point but yopu still have to load the plugs by hand into the the setter part. It places each plant into its own furrow. It has about 4 moving parts to set out things. Ill get a picture of one Ive been looking at.

/ Holland transplanter or other tobacco setter #4  
Here is a picture of a slightly used B1000 Mechanical 1 row positive drive unit we have on the lot priced at $995 here in Ky. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• mechanicalposdriveleftsidenice995.JPG
    mechanicalposdriveleftsidenice995.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 4,205