Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up

/ Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
It has been almost exactly a year since I reported buying a Bag-A-Nut to use to clean up around our 20 walnut trees - http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/130052-got-bag-nut-my-walnut.html . I just did this year's crop today and thought I give an update and tell you about much improved results.

I wasn't really happy with the nut sweeper last year. It worked, but jammed a lot and seem to not be sized for our big walnuts. The green fingers catch the nuts and sets of "ramps" push the nuts off the fingers and into the basket. A top bar keeps the larger nuts from escaping. The largest nuts are pushed through by the next nut. I was having jams because the nuts were too big to slip under the top bar.

The design is pretty simple and I changed out the top 1" plastic rod for a 3/4" piece of PVC. That worked better, but I thought a 1/2" would work better and it did. It still jams, but from twigs and not nuts. Works very well now.

The next problem was emptying the basket. It is design so you can just pull a rope, which is fine is you just want to dump them at the end of the yard. I wanted to haul them away. Last year, I picked the loaded basket up and dumped it in a plastic bin. Those nuts are heavy and I had to dump the bin all the time or dump it in a trailer and have another unloading task.

The bucket on the tractor is just the right height and it makes a great combo with the sweeper. No more lifting and I just use the tractor to dump the nuts at the edge of the field. Figure it is a good stockpile for the squirrels.

We had a bumper corp of walnuts, but I think I cut my clean up time in half from last year. Really glad I made the modifications and found another use for the FEL.

Attachments

• battleground.jpg
    battleground.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 1,533
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 2,620
  • mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 1,967
   / Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up #2  
That looks like a good work saver.

Are they black walnuts? Do you eat any of the nuts? I know black walnuts are tough to shell and stain your hands. Never been my favorite flavor, but some people are 'nuts' about them. As I remember, my Dad used to drive the car over the hulls to get them open.

Now that you have it all working, maybe you could develop a larger model. I have the Congressional Bag-A-Nut in mind :D

Dave.

/ Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up #3  

Are they black walnuts? Do you eat any of the nuts? I know black walnuts are tough to shell and stain your hands. Never been my favorite flavor, but some people are 'nuts' about them. As I remember, my Dad used to drive the car over the hulls to get them open.

Now that you have it all working, maybe you could develop a larger model. I have the Congressional Bag-A-Nut in mind :D

Dave.

I don't think you can find a tractor big enough for a 'congressional bag-a-nut'.

Harry K

/ Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up

Dave.

They are black walnuts. I left plenty in the drive and I'll crack a few. Lots left on the trees too, so I'll need to do a second round.

Sent a picture to a friend who thought I had attach the bagger to my FEL. He didn't think that was going to be too successful. I'll forward your idea of a congressional version. I think he will like that one.

/ Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up #5  
Barry, that picker seems to really do the trick. I especially like the first picture with the tractor and your trees in the background. It looks like a nice early fall scene and much the same as our pecan groves would be this time of year. I get a monthly magazine from my electric coop company and last month they had an article about a pecan farmer in TX with 1200 acres of pecans at 48 trees per acre. His equipment was a lot bigger than yours and included a shaker for the trees. He also had a sweeper/windrower that he drove in reverse on the tractor so the pecans were swept to the side before the wheels could crush them. I have a feeling that your walnuts are a tougher nut to crack.

For anyone interested, here's a link to the issue that talks about pecans.

Last edited:
Barry, that picker seems to really do the trick. I especially like the first picture with the tractor and your trees in the background. It looks like a nice early fall scene and much the same as our pecan groves would be this time of year. I get a monthly magazine from my electric coop company and last month they had an article about a pecan farmer in TX with 1200 acres of pecans at 48 trees per acre. His equipment was a lot bigger than yours and included a shaker for the trees. He also had a sweeper/windrower that he drove in reverse on the tractor so the pecans were swept to the side before the wheels could crush them. I have a feeling that your walnuts are a tougher nut to crack.

For anyone interested, here's a link to the issue that talks about pecans.

My father-in-law, whose father purchased the farm we now live on in 1912 would gasp at what I paid for that nut picker upper. He grew up during the depression and always had used equipment that even he would often term "junk". But he could keep it running and that was all he asked. I know he left the place (it hasn't been a working farm for 30 years) and "moved to town" long before he wanted to, because the upkeep just got too hard. I'm planning to extend the years I have here by using every tool I can find to save my back. I'll still get plenty of exercise.

I will admit to feeling a little guilty using all that expensive equipment to do a job that can be done by hand. The truth is that is was really more fun than work.

/ Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up #7  
Funny the different perspective on things. I spent an hour or so yesterday picking up, husking, and washing 2-3 gallons of black walnuts. I only have the one tree, and I probably didn't get all of them, but that's about all the nuts I want to try to crack and pick. I just crack them in a vise and pick the nutmeats out while watching TV in the evening. I'll get a few cups of clean nutmeats that the wife will use for fudge or a cake maybe. I've got English walnuts, too, but they only made about two dozen nuts this year...maybe a bushel next year I hope. Anyway, you can't beat black walnuts in fudge, or in black walnut ice cream. Too bad the wild ones are so much trouble to crack and pick. I'd probably try to process more if I had as many as Barry, but then I'd have to come up with a sheller as well as a picker-upper!

Chuck

Funny the different perspective on things. I spent an hour or so yesterday picking up, husking, and washing 2-3 gallons of black walnuts. I only have the one tree, and I probably didn't get all of them, but that's about all the nuts I want to try to crack and pick. I just crack them in a vise and pick the nutmeats out while watching TV in the evening. I'll get a few cups of clean nutmeats that the wife will use for fudge or a cake maybe. I've got English walnuts, too, but they only made about two dozen nuts this year...maybe a bushel next year I hope. Anyway, you can't beat black walnuts in fudge, or in black walnut ice cream. Too bad the wild ones are so much trouble to crack and pick. I'd probably try to process more if I had as many as Barry, but then I'd have to come up with a sheller as well as a picker-upper!

Chuck

My late FIL said they used a hand crank corn sheller in the most open setting to remove the outer husk. I've looked for a sheller in antique stores, but haven't located one yet.

I did 3 full FEL buckets of nuts and there are still more on the ground and the trees. I would like to process some and I have left some in the drive. Actually, it is on my things to do when I retire.

/ Bag-A-Nut for walnuts - follow up #9  
My late FIL said they used a hand crank corn sheller in the most open setting to remove the outer husk. I've looked for a sheller in antique stores, but haven't located one yet.

I did 3 full FEL buckets of nuts and there are still more on the ground and the trees. I would like to process some and I have left some in the drive. Actually, it is on my things to do when I retire.

Don't know what you would pay for a sheller in an antique shop, but you can buy a new one at Lehman's Hardware. Lehmans.com

They have a hand crank corn sheller and it mentions walnuts too, $229.

They have the most interesting stuff there, usually not the cheapest price, but always fun to look at.

Dave.

Dave.

Don't know what you would pay for a sheller in an antique shop, but you can buy a new one at Lehman's Hardware. Lehmans.com

They have a hand crank corn sheller and it mentions walnuts too, $229.

They have the most interesting stuff there, usually not the cheapest price, but always fun to look at.

Dave.

Dave.

Great link and yes interesting items. Apparently the idea of using the sheller for walnuts wasn't limited to my FIL. Not sure I'm ready to spend a couple of implement dollars on a new one. But I will keep looking for a used one.