Headlight bulb type(s) ??

/ Headlight bulb type(s) ?? #1  

Spudgunner

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-23 & Toolcat 5600 D
One of the four lights along the top front of my TC has a burnt-out bulb. I've not yet pulled the bulb to see what type it is. Would anybody know if it is a standard (i.e. you can find it at NAPA) bulb...or a Bobcat-specific part?

Also...One of the the two driving lights on the front has a burnt-out bulb. Same question as above.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Headlight bulb type(s) ??
It turns out the headlight bulb is a halogen bulb made by Osram/Sylvania. Their part number is 0-7951. There are three terminals on this bulb...the TC wiring harness only supplies two wires to the headlight housing and the housing has a three-wire harness to the bulb. Makes me wonder what the third terminal on the bulb is for (extra output/high-beams??).

As I searched the web, there was great variation in price for these bulbs...from $2.80 to around $16 each. :eek:

/ Headlight bulb type(s) ?? #3  
Spudgunner,

I few years back I had a couple of those bulbs burn out. If I remember correctly, when I picked up replacements I was told 'not' to touch the new bulbs with bare fingers or they may burn out quickly...

Spudgunner,

I few years back I had a couple of those bulbs burn out. If I remember correctly, when I picked up replacements I was told 'not' to touch the new bulbs with bare fingers or they may burn out quickly...

Yep...all the halogen bulbs I've dealt with in the past had a warning on the packaging about touching the bulb. The bulbs I just received didn't have that warning...but I'm sure it's good advice.

Also... There may be a couple of hacks to the stock TC headlight wiring that would throw some extra candlepower out the front. These headlight bulbs do indeed have a "hi-beam" circuit; hence the three terminals at the back of the bulb. The stock TC wiring harness runs power and GND to the headlight housing. The housing has an *internal* wiring harness featuring three wires...one of which is unused according to Mr. Multimeter. This unused wire appears to go to the hi-beam terminal/filament.

The first mod (and biggest bang per buck, IMO) would be to simply splice the unused/hi-beam wire into the lo-beam lead of the headlight. Amperage draw in this case would jump from 3.3 amps/bulb to 3.7. This according to Don's Bulbs (donsbulbs MAIN PAGE - rare specialty bulbs projector lamps). The TC harness should easily be able to handle this. The wiring harness internal to the headlight housing has lighter-gauged wires...but my SWAG is that they'd be just fine.

The second hack would be to run a separate hi-beam wire to the headlight housing. I suppose one could then control the hi-beams by a separate switch or whatnot.

FWIW... I ordered my bulbs via the i-net from Translectric, Inc. The Heavy Duty Parts Pros and they were 2.38/each. This is the first time I've ever ordered anything from them.

Disclosure: I have not tried either of these mods. I intend to implement the first mod when I have time (that usually means "this spring"). Be careful. Don't melt stuff or let the smoke out of anything.

Last edited:
   / Headlight bulb type(s) ?? #5  
I dont know the part number conversions off the top of my head for the bulb type (H7, 9005, 9004 H4 etc,) but i could get them for you on monday. If available, you could run a silverstar ultra bulb and get much better performance.

/ Headlight bulb type(s) ?? #6  
Spudgunner,

Please let me know how they work out. If memory serves me, I paid 'thru the nose' for the bulbs at the Dealer...

Tim

Spudgunner,

Please let me know how they work out. If memory serves me, I paid 'thru the nose' for the bulbs at the Dealer...

Tim

Update: The brand of the bulbs is Hella and they're made (IIRC) in Romania according to the box label. Hella is a very well known brand...but time will tell.