Relief Crossover Valve

/ Relief Crossover Valve #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
I have a Curtis snow plow that attaches to my FEL. It has a crossover relief valve from the factory.

I contacted Curtis for the valve relief setting on my plow. They said that it is set at 1500psi at the factory. I then asked them if it could be adjusted. They said that I could turn the allen head plug to adjust the relief, there is a spring behind the plug that compresses. One turn equates to approx. 100-200 psi. Next, I asked what the max PSI setting is on this valve. They said that the allen plug could be turned all the way in and then have no relief but it could damage the hoses and/or tractor.

Does that mean that I could potential achieve 3500psi relief from this valve?

/ Relief Crossover Valve #2  
Most relief valves come with a factory setting and give an adjustment range. It may be possible to turn the screw down until the spring is fully compressed. and that would insure that you would have no relief. You want a relief setting to protect the valve, motor, or cylinder, usually about 100 psi below max pump pressure. Sometimes you will get spikes in the hyd circuit, that exceed the pump rating.

/ Relief Crossover Valve #3  
I have a Curtis snow plow that attaches to my FEL. It has a crossover relief valve from the factory.

I contacted Curtis for the valve relief setting on my plow. They said that it is set at 1500psi at the factory. I then asked them if it could be adjusted. They said that I could turn the allen head plug to adjust the relief, there is a spring behind the plug that compresses. One turn equates to approx. 100-200 psi. Next, I asked what the max PSI setting is on this valve. They said that the allen plug could be turned all the way in and then have no relief but it could damage the hoses and/or tractor.

Does that mean that I could potential achieve 3500psi relief from this valve?

Who knows...the Prince XORV's come in a "range" of adjustment according to the Surplus Center catalog.

Do you think you need to adjust yours?

/ Relief Crossover Valve #4  
jgbanshee ,

Why would you even consider a setting above your pump max pressure. You would set it for the lowest rated component in the circuit.

/ Relief Crossover Valve
Kennyd,

I dont want to adjust the valve on my Curtis. I want to buy a valve for my 9' Meyer that is on my larger machine. I have 1/4" hoses on the Meyer plow and the Curtis valve has 1/4" ports, nice compact size, aluminum. I might just get the Prince valve from Surplus Center that is 1500-3500psi with 1/2" ports and just get fittings to attache the 1/4" hoses.

/ Relief Crossover Valve
J_J

My tractor relief is 2500psi.

/ Relief Crossover Valve #7  
If your FEL valve has 2500 psi relief, , then the relief for anything else in the circuit should be the same. but you could set it even less than the FEL valve in order to protect a cylinder with a lower psi rating.

/ Relief Crossover Valve
Correct. I guess I dont understand how the pressure on the tip of the plow blade (side of plow that is out in front when angled) related to the relief valve setting.

/ Relief Crossover Valve #9  
Here is some clearification about relief valves.
A valve located between pump and control valve, CV, is the main protection for the whole system, that means the pressure coming from the pump.
Let's say that is set at 2500psi. This valve is aka pump protection valve.

A relief valve located between the CV and the actuator (motor), is meant to protect the local part of the system between the CV and the actuator. This valve is aka motor protection valve. This valve can either be a pressure reducing valve, set to a lower pressure, let's say 2000psi, or be set at a higher pressure, lets say 3000psi. It all depends on what size of mechanical stress the actuator and it's mechanical construction can take, type snowplow blade etc.
Running a snow plow blade into a curb will force stress into the construction which could be damaged if hydraulic pressure wasnt reliefed. You do want that blade to resist some smaller bumps and ice chunks with out folding over to the other side......that will determine your pressure setting on this crossover valve.

A cross over valve is a relief valve used on actuators with the same piston area (volume) in both directions. Either by a double rod cylinder, or two cylinders hooked up cross parallell. It will also work with a hydraulic motor.
A crossover valve dumps the whole relief volume to other side of piston.
crossoverrelief.JPG

A regular releif valve dumps part of relief volume to tank. Compensating volume to the low pressure side will enter via a check valve, aka anti cavitation valve.

/ Relief Crossover Valve #10  
Correct. I guess I dont understand how the pressure on the tip of the plow blade (side of plow that is out in front when angled) related to the relief valve setting.

The two are NOT related. The setting of the main PRV has nothing to do with this. Just as AKK wrote-it is to protect the circuit between the valve and the plow. The main PRV can do nothing to protect that because the valve is in neutral, and the work ports are blocked thus isolating them from the main PRV.

The 1500-3000PSI XORV would be a good choice for your larger plow, start at the lowest setting and adjust it higher if it trips to easily.