Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals?

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals? #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
I just ordered and received a "rebuild" kit for the main hydraulic cylinder on my backhoe and frankly, I'm pissed! $45 for four neoprene type seals and a couple of o-rings seems like a major rip to me! Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source for stuff like this....surely these are standard replacement items...I just didn't know where else to get them.

Also, any tips on the rebuild will be appreciated.

Thx,

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals? #2  
Wasabi, was that hydraulic cylinder made by Snap-on?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Sounds like their parts; almost identical to everyone else's, but cost 2 or 3 times as much, and they'll make them a millimeter or so different size so no others will interchange./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals? #3  
Well, if you were in my town, it would either be Web Seal or Potter Associates.
Generally, if you are near a metropolitan area, there will be an industrial supplier of seals and O rings.
Seals and O rings stop getting cheap real quick when you get to hydraulic cylinder rebuilding, so if you are talking about a cylinder with a 4" bore and large piston rod, you could spend $30 or more real quick.

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals? #4  
I just had the local hydraulic shop rebuild one of the stabilizer cylinders on my old kubota hoe. Total price was $53.00.

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals? #5  
TSC offers universal seal sets by size of bore. Notice them after buying a set from JD. JD was not bad, about $12 as I remember, but TSC was even less. Don't know if they will work in all cylinders but looked like about what I got from JD

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals?
Bird, maybe Power Trac is an incognito wholly owned Snap-on subsidiary. They certainly seem to play the replacement parts pricing game by the same rules....and they have a non-negotiable, no-return policy /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

All, thanks for the tips. I sure felt foolish when I opened the UPS package and saw how little I got for what it cost, even more so now that I hear it may have been possible to have the sucker rebuilt for the cost of parts.

Man, do I have a lot to learn. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I just hope I have more than lint left in my pockets when I'm edicated!

/ Sources for Hyd Cylinder seals? #7  
I had a cyclinder rebuilt for my John Deere backhoe. Cost $230. And I thought that was pretty good. I priced a kit for the stabilizers and it was $45. I don't think you did too bad...Emery