L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #1  

Muleskinner

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 KUBOTA B2650ROPS
Hello all. It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I want to hear from L45 and M59 owners. I want to hear how you use your machine and what you think about them now that both models have been out for a few months.

Last edited:
   / L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #2  
Hello all. It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I want to hear from L45 and M59 owners. I want to hear how you use your machine and what you think about them now that both models have been out for a few months.

The guy I bought my L48 from is a plumber/septic tank company owner. He tried the L45 and wasn't impressed, actually disappointed, compared to the L48. The M59, which is a turbocharged L48 on steroids, was too bulky and heavy for his use. The BH operation and functionality on the M59 is pretty much indistinguishable compared to the L48.

He ended up buying another new L48. Apparently, there are a few new ones around here and there.

I know that is not your question but the L48 is halfway between the L45 and M59. Look at the specs on the Kubota website to do a numerical comparison of the BH characteristics. Other members here can give a seat-of-the-pants opinion.

My opinion is that the L48 will do whatever is necessary short of an excavator. The M59 is a huge L48 and the L45 is its little brother. They are all good machines in the final anaylsis.

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #3  
The L45 is waayyy too small for most construction needs and is not (IMO) in the same class as the L48. I want to try the M59. Big $, about $10-11K more than L48 new.

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #4  
The L45 is waayyy too small for most construction needs and is not (IMO) in the same class as the L48. I want to try the M59. Big $, about $10-11K more than L48 new.

at the outset, the M59 was about 5-6k more than the L48. Over the last two years tractor prices across the board have gone up 5-10% so your right to say thats 10-11k more today. You can't buy a L45 for the price of the old L48.

I don't think you'll find any new L48's floating around yet, but used ones are easy to come by in the 25k range.

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #5  
muleskinner,

I think the answer will depend upon your intended usage. If you want a compact machine, the 45 is nice. If you want max digging and lifting power, the 59 is the way to go.

The 48 might be a nice comprimise between the two, as GWdixon suggested.

I read that several people think the 59 is too big. I'm not sure I agree with that, but i guess it's all relative. Sometimes i wish I had a full-size hoe, like a CAT or Case!

Are you planning on towing the machine around between jobsites, or will it say put?

-mark

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #7  
If towing is an issue the M59 will put you in the CDL license range.

MarkV

Good point MarkV. In NJ, you will need a cdl if you pass over 26,001 lbs. combined weight of the truck and trailer. So if you have a 350/3500 dually that has a GVWR of 14k and a trailer with a GVWR of 14k, you're combined weight is 28k and you're OVER the limit and need a CDL.

-Mark

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #8  
Although the CDL requirements can often be confusing I believe here if you reach over 10K in trailer weight you need a CDL. My L39 and trailer barely makes the cut.

MarkV

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #9  
If you can swing it buy the M59.

I always seem to need more than I thought I would. When you consider the difference in cost amortized over 10 years it's small compared to the M59's added capabilities.

That being said, when you finalize your negotiations make the 50 hour service part of the deal. :D

/ L45 OR M59 WHAT TO BUY #10  
If you can swing it buy the M59.

I always seem to need more than I thought I would. When you consider the difference in cost amortized over 10 years it's small compared to the M59's added capabilities.

That being said, when you finalize your negotiations make the 50 hour service part of the deal. :D

I have a beefed up L39. If I were to go to the size of an M59, I'd want it to weigh 10-11,000 Lbs.

For the money there are a lot of full size TLB's I would consider before an M59. You can road these short distances of several miles, no problem.