Advice on tractor for farm/construction use

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #1  

jstephenjonesj

Tractor
none yet
I'm new here. I've read a lot but need opinions on the following. My wife & I have 20 acres of her family farm in SE michigan. We have about 7 acres of apple trees (orchard) and 7 acres of pasture. Her dad has a JD 5300 tractor left, but it is just too big with the cab for the orchard area.

We want a tractor/loader/backhoe to do the following:
(I've been looking at a John Deere 110 TLB, but need to know what other brands are outhere to do same) As far a size goes, the 110 is 'right sized' for our orchard row spacing. Please let me know what one piece of equipment any of you would use for the following:

* Mow (including trimmed branches)between tree rows
*Operate orchard sprayer
*use backhoe to pull dwarf trees (14-18') out of ground in spring when ground is soaked
*Rototilling about an acre
*pull a 2 bottom plow, disks & harrow on a 2 acre truck garden area
* Mow, rake and bale hay on 7 acre pasture
*auger holes for fence
*Grade driveway smooth when needed
*Snowblower for driveway & farm paths

**all above things done every year

- 1,000' of trenching (4-5' depth) to finish irrigation project
- dig basement for house
- load, move piles of big rock
- using loader bucket with tooth bar, dig out septic field area

I want to use this TLB & with proper maintenance get a good 20 years life out of it.
Thanks for your time.
Steve

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #2  
Sounds like a wide spread of chores to ask of one machine. Mowing, spraying, rototilling could be done with a 20-30 hp CUT, but digging stumps of any size with a backhoe, moving lots of rock, and plowing with a small machine would take longer than most people would be willing to spend on a project. If you find a baler that would work well on a tractor less than 40 horse, there are lots of us who would be interested in it. How about getting two machines? Maybe a newer 30-40 horse and a used industrial-rated tractor/loader/backhoe? These HD industrial machines are tough and are made to take abuse that will turn the average tractor into a front half and a back half.:eek: Going that route has worked well for me. With the building industry slowdown now, there are some great deals on industrial machines for sale by contractors just trying to pay their bills. Besides, that gives you a machine to play with and the bride a machine to work HER farm with.:rolleyes:...Dan.

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #5  
I second Dan. I'd go with the 110TLB AND a CT332 skid steer.

its like you read my mind. Have you also looked at the 3520, 3720, 4120, and 4320? These are pretty close to the 110 and are available wit fully enclosed cabs if needed. my dad has the 3720 and the CT322 and they are a great team to manage our property. I guess another thing to mention is what is your budget? There are other brands out there such as Kubota, Massey ferguson, NewHolland, Kioti, Montana, Bobcat. just to name a few.

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #6  
Yeah, but I'd just stick with the JD because I have a good dealer and like the product. The cab tractors would be nice - so they are a good recommendation also!

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #7  
Consider the Toolcat 5610. Narrow, not too tall, cab, 3 pt, rear pto, can carry 2 people, HST drive, turn really tightly without tearing up the ground, can have a myriad of attachments for the front or rear etc. My only reservation is baling or using a back hoe-not likely with the TC. Keep the 5300 for baling, HD work or as second unit. Rental of many front attachments is fairly cheap for the TC.
A skid steer is going to be too harsh on orchard or garden areas.

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use
Thanks to those who responded. Please, anyone else add comments.I guess I really want to here from anyone who has a 110tlb. Would it do all things I'm asking of it?

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #9  
I have a JD 110 TLB and I really like it, but I am not certain it will do everything you need.

For instance I have never even though about mowing with it and can almost guarantee it would not be a good task.

Similarly, I am not too certain about the orchard sprayer, rototilling and haying.

I have never tried a snowblower because I don't need one, but the 110 has a standard skid steer mount in front, so it should work just fine.

Is is very capable of the construction tasks you list.

Be aware that the manual says the implement on the back should weigh at least 1250 lbs. I have the Woods box blade which meets that criteria, and the price used was pretty substantial. This would take care of your road with no trouble, and you may even be able to grade the road with the FEL, especially if you get the 4-n-1 bucket and experiment with backdragging with the bucket open and at various angles.

A hydraulic thumb is a great addition to the 110.

Also, you should know, it will power a hydraulic auger, but I think most Post Hole Diggers are too light for it.

/ Advice on tractor for farm/construction use #10  
You stated that her dad had a JD5300. You didn't indicate whether its a 5301 or 5304, but if that's available and enough PTO HP, could you not use it for the mowing, raking, baling etc. tasks and the TLB for the rest?