Optima Batteries

/ Optima Batteries #1  

topstoy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520 / Kubota KX121-3
Hello all,
So I have been reading threads about stock batteries leaking and distroying the battery tray on new tractors. With that I have seen folks both recommending Optima batteries and then hear folks complaining about them. So what is the deal with these batteries and I would love to hear of other recommendations. Thanks, Ken

/ Optima Batteries #2  
I always had good luck with Sears DieHard batteries. I think you have to get the DieHard Gold to get the good one now. They are made by Johnson Controls.
Good luck

/ Optima Batteries #3  
I am not interested in getting in a pis*ing contest about batteries but I have had too many failures with the Optima batteries. When they were first introduced they were great batteries and after a time and during high demand for their product the quality suffered and they coasted on their reputation. Lots of threads on boating forums where boaters have had problems with the Optimas'. I was real proud of myself when I bought 6 of them and knew my battery problems were over, only to have four of the six fail prematurely. I like everyone else had "heard" they were real good.

A much better battery is the Odyssey brand and DieHard Platinum which is a rebadged Odyssey sold by Sears. On a tractor where you don't have the problem of being out to sea with a failure I would go for the DieHard which is discounted about $75 less than the name brand Odyssey. I purchased the Odyssey batteeries for my boat in 2005 and they are still in good shape. Since then I have learned that the DieHards are the same thing and have bought these eversince. The DieHard Platinum batteries are the ones I am referring to, not sure about the Gold series.

/ Optima Batteries #4  
I have read a lot of posts on this site about Optima batteries. From what I have read they seem not worth the price.

/ Optima Batteries
Great feedback! I just bought my new 2520, how long should I wait to replace the stock battery? I want to catch it before I start leaking and destroying the battery tray area. By what I have seen here, I might want to do this very soon! Thanks again. Ken

/ Optima Batteries #6  
Recently had experience purchasing a new battery for my emergency home standby generator. Wanted to put the best most reliable battery in the generator for obvious reasons. Went to local Advance Auto Parts store to buy a Red Optima. To my surprise the older guy at the desk highly recommended their Gold battery over the Optima for better (lower) failure rate based on their experience. He convinced me to go with the Gold.

/ Optima Batteries #7  
topstoy,

hey man relax its not that bad:eek:
Just plan on changing it before it leaks. :D Kind of liike a water heater.

/ Optima Batteries #8  
most definitly need to stay away from the optimas they are over priced junk . around here they dont even have as long a warranty as a regular batt . thats rediculouse for what they cost . they used to be good but now there junk dont waste your money.

/ Optima Batteries #9  
I use an Optima in my company vehicle passenger compartement to run a bunch of electronic equipment. I didn't want the possibility of spills or charging fumes in there. Otherwise I wouldn't use one. Cost too much and have lower amp hour capacity than other batteries. Bought one (or rather my employer did) in November and it was right at $200 with tax, battery fees etc. Way too much.
Frequent inspection and a baking soda solution washdown should take care of any acid problems in a battery tray. Just don't get the solution in the battery.

/ Optima Batteries #10  
"Frequent inspection and a baking soda solution washdown should take care of any acid problems in a battery tray. Just don't get the solution in the battery."

This is good advice.

Also, I found that you need to be REAL careful about the water level in the JD "Strongbox" battery. If you try and "top up" the cells to the level you might normally use, i.e., to the bottom of the plastic (at least that's what I was taught to do...), it will be too full and overflow when you run the machine and it is charging.

Once I figured out that the level needs to be just enough to be halfway between the plates and the plastic, I didn't have any more over flow problems.