Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!!

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!! #1  

Prodirt6000

Bronze Member
Hi Everyone,

I have a bolt probably around 3/8 inch I think that the head broke off of it in the casting. I have this tool that once you drill it out and heat up the bolt, you can turn it counterclockwise and it will turn the bolt out.

My problem is, I have a drill bit broke off in the bolt. It is too far in to grab and pull out, and I've tried a magnet too, and tryed turning it with a little screw. Nothing. Oh and I tryed using a bigger drill bit too which was probably a mistake. That didnt work

So how to I fix this? It seems to me that a different drill bit will not drill out another drill bit thats stuck inside there. Any ideas?

Thanks

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!! #2  
If it is flush or slightly raised off the casting then weld a nut onto it...if you have a welder. The drill bit is to hard to drill, using another bit will probably lead to that breaking also.

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!!
Its flush. I have tryed welding a nut to it on another time this has happened but I could never get good enough penetration seemed like because the nut would always twist off. It was a 220V welder too. Maybe I didnt put enough heat on just because I was afraid I would weld to the other metal. Actually, the metal that the bolt is in might be cast iron. I'm not 100% sure though.

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!! #4  
Wow! You sure didn't make thing easy on yourself! The most sucessful practice that I've seen is Center-punching the bolt, then buying a counter rotating drill bit ie, cuts counter-clockwise. After drilling, which will some time bring the stud out, you then use an E-Z out (that's probably what you're refering to)and back out the broken piece after liberal amounts of PB Blaster, and maybe some heat. Once you've broken a hardened steel drill bit in the hole, you've got bigger problems. You' got to try to get that broken drill piece out! Any chance of backing it out with a a pair of snap ring pliers stuck into the 'drill-flutes' ? Any access from the back side? Or is this a stud hole install? ~Scotty

Haha yeah Scott I made a bit mess up with that broken bolt. I usually have good luck with the EZ out tool but not when I have a broken drill bit inside. I dont know if you caught it what I said earlier, but for some stupid reason I tryed drilling the hole out with a bigger drill bit. This made a burr I guess you would call it over the smaller drill bit. So now, I think I'm done for.

Oh and there is no access to the other side. My boss was wondering if I could torch out the old bolt. But ooof, I'm not sure if thats such a good idea.

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!! #6  
Turn your welder up some more and bury the rod in to the stud through the nut. I use 7018 rod. 3/32 would be a good size. I think 6011 is too brittle and 6013 not strong enough. The weld will not stick to the cast very well so don't let that scare you. Let it cool till the weld chills but don't let it cool off to the touch.

Did the original bolt break off or twist off while being removed. If you twisted it off you may not get it out. Can the casting be removed and taken to a machine shop?

Dan

Turn your welder up some more and bury the rod in to the stud through the nut. I use 7018 rod. 3/32 would be a good size. I think 6011 is too brittle and 6013 not strong enough. The weld will not stick to the cast very well so don't let that scare you. Let it cool till the weld chills but don't let it cool off to the touch.

Did the original bolt break off or twist off while being removed. If you twisted it off you may not get it out. Can the casting be removed and taken to a machine shop?

Dan

Ok I might give that a shot in the morning. I'll try the 7018. Last time I used a MIG welder and had no luck, so I will try the stick like you said. Well, it looked like it was twisted off if I'm understanding you right. Taking it off and bringing it to a machine shop is our last possible thing we want to do...The casting is part of a piece under a 6 row corn head and it doesnt look like any simple task to take it off. It's almost like it is it part of the framing of it.

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!! #8  
1st If it broke while you were turning it out most likly bite fast it is highly unlikly it will come out uasaly drill and tap new threads 2nd If it was broken before atemping to remove you may indeed be in luck. Welding a nut down through hole in nut has worked many of time for me when easy outs have not. also since you have broken a bit off in the hole have done this to remove broken bit,put your safty glasses on,since a bit is HARD I have found if I take a good punch and decent size hammer I sometimes can shatter the broken bit in the hole use magnet to remove pc's and retry easyout or drill. good luck. after 35 yr's experience, some time's there just is not an easy way out

/ Head Broke Off Bolt...Please Help!! #9  
Hi Everyone,

I have a bolt probably around 3/8 inch I think that the head broke off of it in the casting. I have this tool that once you drill it out and heat up the bolt, you can turn it counterclockwise and it will turn the bolt out.

My problem is, I have a drill bit broke off in the bolt. It is too far in to grab and pull out, and I've tried a magnet too, and tryed turning it with a little screw. Nothing. Oh and I tryed using a bigger drill bit too which was probably a mistake. That didnt work

So how to I fix this? It seems to me that a different drill bit will not drill out another drill bit thats stuck inside there. Any ideas?

Thanks

Post a pic if you can that would help offer the best advice.

Oh Red thats a great idea about the punch. I'm definately going to give that a try first thing tomorrow morning before I try anything else. If I can get away with not trying the welding trick that will be better for me.

Now I know the hole is drilled completely through the bolt, so if I drive that broken bit up into the origonal cast, will it do any damage?