Planters Need help with a corn planter

/ Need help with a corn planter #1  

beersngars

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HSD
Once again I need help. I just picked up a refurbished John Deere 1240 corn planter that has been cut down to a 3pt 2 row unit. The guy did a first rate job on the conversion and placed the drive wheel in the center of the planters. It will move from 28" to 44" on row spacing, has the larger metal hoppers and shoe type openers.

I want to plant field corn and sweet corn with it. After searching here and around the web, I can't seem to find the answers to a few questions. First, how do I determine what plates are needed for a given seed? Is there a chart? I would like to go ahead and get a few plates ready for the spring. I will be planting about an acre of field corn and maybe half an acre of sweet corn. I also want to plant some sorgum and soy bean as a food plot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Need help with a corn planter #2  
Isn't a 1240 a plateless planter?

/ Need help with a corn planter #3  
If it takes seed plates Call Lincoln Ag Products. I sent them a sample of my seeds and they fit them to a plate. Takes a little lead time but they're good people to work with. bjr

/ Need help with a corn planter
If it takes seed plates Call Lincoln Ag Products. I sent them a sample of my seeds and they fit them to a plate. Takes a little lead time but they're good people to work with. bjr

That would be an option. I was hoping to gather a few off Ebay as they came up. So far I have B-7-24X, B-8-24X and B-3-24X. I thought there would be a chart so that if say I wanted to plant Silver Queen, it would call for B x-x-x.

Would the seed supplier be able to tell me which ones were needed?

/ Need help with a corn planter #6  
I have a 1240 planter i dont have the hydrolic cylinder i need to know the diameter and the stroke length

/ Need help with a corn planter #7  
I actually had to measure the seed. Width Height, length with calipers, but wound sending a seed sample to Lincoln Ag anyways to let them size them for the right plates. I was amaze at how fast they responded,it was very quick service and the plate price was very reasonable. I was thinking that their site has a chart that showed plate sizes to seed sizes. bjr

/ Need help with a corn planter #8  
The seed bag should tell you what plate is needed to plant the grade of seed you bought. You will have the option of a 24 or 16 cell plate for corn. I like to use a 24 cell because the plate turns slower and I feel it does a better job of planting and does less damage to the seed. The tag will have a recommened plate like a b7 or b5 etc. Then all you have to do is look on ebay or call lincoln ag and look for a b7-16 or a b7-24 plate. I just bought some from Lincoln Ag for 13.75 a piece plus shipping. Had them in 4 days.