HYD Shuttle Shift?

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #1  

PSDStu

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota, M7060 HDC12, L4060 HSTC, RTV 1140
After a year of owning and at around 240 hrs of operation (mostly bushogging) I have not yet overcome the reflex of using of the clutch when going from FWD to REV.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is causing any damage to the clutch/transmission by operating this way?

Thanks!

Stu

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #2  
psdstu:
I asked the K central tech (David Haggardy, he's good)) the same question, thinking using the clutch reflex would put less pressure/ stress on the system. His reply was that the system is designed to use the clutchless hyd shuttle, saying that actually it is easier on the drive train using it in that way over conventional clutching....something about putting less stress on the actuator valve. The key is to engage the shuttle at very low ground speed or stationary. But I do use the clutch too and I'm sure there's no damage involved. I'd recommend also specifically talking to him about it if you're curious, he's been an invaluable info source. have your dealer name & serial # handy on the phone. 817 571 0900

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #3  
Me too with using the clutch pedal out of habit. It takes a conscious effort to just use the lever.

From what I read the hydraulic clutch runs in oil and will outlast any dry clutch around by several times.

Not to worry.

/ HYD Shuttle Shift?
Thanks for the inputs!

Probably 95% of useage of my tractor is for Bushogging or mowing. This is done in 4 Low, and around 2100-2200 Engine RPM which gets me around 3.7-3.8 mph.

I try and bushog and mow in such a way as to reduce the amount of fwd/rev changes but when faced with direcetion changes running at 3.7 - 3.8 mph it's much easier to just use the clutch to shift directions without having to throttle down to slowdown.

Stu

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #5  
I try and bushog and mow in such a way as to reduce the amount of fwd/rev changes but when faced with direcetion changes running at 3.7 - 3.8 mph it's much easier to just use the clutch to shift directions without having to throttle down to slowdown.

Stu

Couldn't agree more. Shifting w/o a clutch at those speeds is a bit jarring to say the least.

4 LO and around 4 mph is my preferred working speed as well. It can get a bit tippy on uneven ground however.

At about 2500 RPM the M7040 develops a whine that is quite annoying. It may be the turbo on the (-1) model.

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #6  
gwdixon;1852441...........From what I read the hydraulic clutch runs in oil and will outlast any dry clutch around by several times.......[/QUOTE said:
Agreed - Kubota's wet clutches last a long time. They offered their first hydraulic shuttle on some models starting back in '82-'84. It had a wet clutch pack - and a dry clutch too - so there were really two clutches in series. They divided the duty, either clutch could be used. Soon they decided to beef up the hydraulic shuttle and use it to handle all the clutching for tractor motion - they called the new stronger version of the hydraulic shuttle the Ever Clutch. The EC has more (and larger) clutch plates in each pack. The PTO still uses a dry plate clutch. You can pretty much use your travel clutch(es) in any combination - no worries.

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #7  
After a year of owning and at around 240 hrs of operation (mostly bushogging) I have not yet overcome the reflex of using of the clutch when going from FWD to REV.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is causing any damage to the clutch/transmission by operating this way?

Thanks!

Stu

No kidding it is a hard reflex to get over. Besides the M7040, we also have other older tractors that we still use on a regular basis so it doesn't happen - especially when I use the M7040 for loader work where you are stopping and starting a lot anyway. If I am doing some work out in the open, I use the HYD once in a while but that is usually not the case. Generally it is tight quarters moving large square bales. Maybe over time..? ;-)

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #8  
Loader work, I generally don't clutch, all the rest of the time I do. Mowing, I typically use the hand throttle, and always clutch. I' ve got 400 hrs on my M7040, and I may momentarily get above 2200 rpms, but I try to always keep at or below that.

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #9  
Stu-

It took about 2 years to break my double-clutch obsession. Now I use the foot clutch only when I start moving my tractor; before it has warmed up completely, or when I need a lot of position control. Sometimes I forget and find myself pumping away with the left foot. Old dog ... new tricks, etc.

If I get in a tight area or need to fwd/rev frequently I turn down the hand throttle all the way and use the foot throttle. When changing fwd/rev with the foot throttle I use the brakes to stop, then shift the shuttle without the foot clutch - works real smooth.

-Jim

/ HYD Shuttle Shift? #10  
What shift/tranny type are you talking about? Is this a GST like an L35?

So you can shift from forward to reverse without clutching? What about when you come to a stop?