Chainsaw Sharpening

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
I just picked up a Stihl 250 with a .325 pitch chain and I was wondering if I could use the same file set up as my Husky 3/8 chain on the .325 chain? The Husky file guide is much better than the Stihl because it files the raker down at the same time so it's quick and maintains the same bite all the time. The Stihl file guide is Ok but it doesn't do the raker so you need to go back and do it separately:mad:

The Husky guide I've got is like this one
image3.gif

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #2  
I've not used the combination jig as shown. Might work if the settings are right and the round file is the right diameter for the chain size. What file size does the Stihl chain call for?

I use the Husky Pferd file jig as shown here. File the rakers separate, as they don't need filing as often as I touch up the chain (at least every tank of fuel).

Attachments

• PferdFileJig_ff.jpg
    PferdFileJig_ff.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 6,501
   / Chainsaw Sharpening
I'm not sure which size file the Stihl .325 chains use, they look to be the same as my Husky 3/8 but I guess I'll have to look a bit closer. Those Pferd sharpening jigs work excellent, I like the all in one unit it's quicker for me.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #4  
They make one for each size. File size and raker height are both different. I use 5/32" and 7/32" files on mine and have .025 and .030 raker gauges. I've never used the combination setup. I like the idea of giving the rakers a stroke while filing. I haven't been to Bailey's in a while. Time to go shopping.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #5  
I'm not sure which size file the Stihl .325 chains use, they look to be the same as my Husky 3/8 but I guess I'll have to look a bit closer. Those Pferd sharpening jigs work excellent, I like the all in one unit it's quicker for me.

Most use 3/16 for .325 ...and 7/32 for 3/8

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #6  
Most times there is a 1/16 difference between the files for a .325 chain versus a 3/8 chain with the caveat that it depends on the chain (low profile chain is usually different). As I remember it both the Stihl and Husky sites will have recommended file sizes for the chains you have. My immediate answer would be you need new files -- check and see if you can find the guide instructions on line and it will probably tell you if it works on different chain sizes.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #7  
I have the ms 250 stihl, also have the ms 310, both take a different file. a 3/16th for the 250, and a 7/32nd for the 310

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #8  
I did order a couple of the file guides from Bailey's. There is one for each size.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening
Yep, you guys are right different sizes:( I just ordered the new one for my .325 Stihl chain, now I just got to make sure I grab the right one each time:D