What motor for snowblower chute rotation?

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #1  

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
I don't have hydraulic remotes right now. Maybe I'll add that later during my fel build. So in the meantime, I want to convert my manual chute rotator to electric.

I've read some of the threads about this. My question is, about what motor to use? I'll probably use a power window motor but I want one that will handle the job. Any advice on how to determine size of motor that will be a good fit?

My current setup uses the hand crank with a wire wrapped around the chute. So I'll probably just try to fab a connection directly from a modified crank to the motor shaft if I can manage that.

Suggestions appreciated (except for making it hydraulic).

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #2  
You would be better off buying a small 12 volt winch to do the job.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #3  
Take a quick look in my post about a new way for electric deflector on snowblower and you'll see that I use a small electric winch to turn my chute and it's using the old cable system.Larry:D

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #4  
Massey driver, I like that.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation?
Take a quick look in my post about a new way for electric deflector on snowblower and you'll see that I use a small electric winch to turn my chute and it's using the old cable system.Larry:D

I wondered if that was what you had for the chute rotation. I'll take another look at the pic. I might use the winch suggestion for the chute rotation.

Thanks LAWALLSTRACTOR, and massey driver.

P.S. I wasn't going to do the deflector automation but your idea is a good one. I might do that as well.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #6  
One idea I had but didn't try was to use a garage door spring (or appropriate one) to hold the chute to one side.Then use the winch single line to pull it the other way so it would be a simple setup and constant pull on it. I opted to try the windshield wiper motor first and have Had good luck with it for a few years. (mine is stored inside) So the ice and freezing doesn't seem to be a factor

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #7  
Why not just use a linear actuator? I can't imagine you'd need all that powerful of one to move your chute. Hook it up the same way the hydraulic version works only replace the cylinder with the linear actuator.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation?
Thanks for all ideas. I'll keep checking back. Great forum.

Right now I'm favoring using the winch idea.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #9  
I too for linear actuator. To me, that would be the easiest to mount, avoiding gears and cables, just welding, or bolting up a couple brackets to mount it to. You'll just be limited to rotation. A window motor seems like the most compact, and with some cable would allow the most amount of rotation.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #10  
Why not just use a linear actuator? I can't imagine you'd need all that powerful of one to move your chute. Hook it up the same way the hydraulic version works only replace the cylinder with the linear actuator.

Last time I checked linear actuators were fairly expensive, things could've changed though.