Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I've been dragging logs out of the woods for years using either the draw bar, a boom pole, or what ever implement I had on the tractor at the time. I decided it was time to build something that was more suitable for the job. I use the work 'arch' loosely as its more of a mini-boom, but it should do the job well regardless.

I started with this old bale spear that had seen better days:

P1010321sm.jpg

First job was cutting it down and squaring up the ends. With the help of a couple old house jacks I got it supported in my band saw and made the cuts:

P1010323sm.jpg

Here it is after cutting it down:

P1010324sm.jpg

Almost all of the metal I used were pieces out of my scrap pile, I always like to save any little triangle pieces to use for gussets, etc:

P1010325sm.jpg

More forthcoming...

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch
I made some new lower hitch mounts and gusseted them heavily:

P1010326sm.jpg

Next was making the actual 'arch' or boom. It's make of a piece of 2.5x2.5x3/16 square tubing, reinforced along the bottom with a piece of 3x3/8 flat plate. The hook up point is a piece of 2"x3/4" flat bar, with three 1" holes. Here's a pic of drilling the holes, this little piece was pretty hard to hold on to, but a pipe wrench subdued it:

P1010334sm.jpg

Here's a pic of the boom weldment:

P1010336sm.jpg

Welded in place and gusseted:

sm.jpg

Next was to bend up a couple of pieces of 1.5" sch 40 pipe for a guard/chain holder assembly:

P1010344sm.jpg

Here's the arch almost completed:

P1010348sm.jpg

Between the pipe and the upright of the frame I'm going to weld a couple plates with hooks to hold chains. Three chain hooks will hang from the holes and provide places for dragging up to three logs at once.

I haven't decided if I will cap off the end of the boom, or if I will drill a hole in it and use if for a 2" receiver for moving trailers (even though its a little too big since it was 2.5" sq. tube 3/16 wall instead of the standard 2.5" 1/4 wall tubing).

Originally I had planned on mounting the boom all the way at the top of the upright, but I decided that would put too much load on the top link when pulling. With it in the location that it is, it will provide enough lift to drag a 30" log a little bit off the ground, which is probably bigger than I will ever need.

All structural welding was done with 1/8" 7018 rods at about 135 amps on my Lincoln 225 AC welder. The non structural stuff was done with my Lincoln SP-175 mig welder using .035" flux core.

What I have gotten done so far has taken me a couple of evenings, and should get it done tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully I can try it out this weekend and post some pics of it in action.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #4  
excellent looking piece of equipment you have going there, and cudos on the recycling. I believe in saving metal scraps myself. sometimes too much. lol :cool:

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #5  
Excellent looking fab work, but I don't get what the pipe is for?

I would do like you said and leave the square tube as a receiver, they are so versatile. maybe you could sleeve it to tighten it up.

JB.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #6  
Nice work. Looks stout enough for sure.

The receiver is a wonderful plus to have on there. I built a log handling unit with the hitch built in. Just used it for moving some trailers around the other day. Wish I had done it 30yr ago.

I did add a top link that cantilevers over the top of the unit though. It does give me more lift, though I hope it will not be too much for it. didn't give it much thought until you mentioned it.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #7  
Looking good! Here is a pic I collected but can't remember where. Maybe it will help with some ideas or finishing touches?

What I found interesting is how to use the top link (if hydraulic) to raise the log and the "guard" portion that prevents the log from pushing into the tractor.

Can't wait to see the final product :D

- JC

Attachments

• Log skidder 3ph.jpg
    Log skidder 3ph.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,834
   / Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #8  
Isn't that over kill for a garden tractor :D :D

Do you need my address where to ship it, once done? I'll test it for .....oh 20yrs, then send it back with a written report :D

Very nice build, I also save all my old scraps. The better half use to say {nag voice} "why are you KEEPING that !!!" She doesn't ask anymore once she learned it can be used.

/ Building a small 3pt hitch logging arch #9  
Nice job on your fabrication. Great looking welds also.

Please post the finished pictures.

Thanks for the replies and comments. I'm no professional welder, but growing up on the farm I've kinda gotten a knack for it. ;)

Excellent looking fab work, but I don't get what the pipe is for?

The pipes are mostly just a structure on which the chain holders will go, but also will provide a little protection for the back of the tractor against limbs and brush.

Looking good! Here is a pic I collected but can't remember where. Maybe it will help with some ideas or finishing touches?

Actually that was what gave me the idea to build it. Its a Norwood log skidding attachment, they sell them through Northern tool amongst other places.

I should be able to finish it tonight and get it out in the woods on Saturday.