Hour meter operation??

/ Hour meter operation?? #1  

gwdixon

Elite Member
A difference of opinion has been raised about how hour meters record the hours. Is it:

(A) actual clock hours that the engine is running or is it

(B) based on a hours at a certain RPM called a Tach Timer?

Could there be a (C)?

In the RPM/Tach Timer logging situation, for example, if 3000 RPM is registered as 3 hours then the same 3 hours on an identical tractor sitting side-by-side idling at 1000 RPM would only register 1 hour on the meter.

What has been your experience? Tractor brand, model, and approximate year of manufacture would also help.

Some background is below.

In Minnesota it would be illegal to have an hour meter that does not reflect clock hours.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=325E.166

There is a Hobbs-type meter that measures "on" time:

Hobbs meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a Tach Timer:

Tach Timer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there is this post from Net Tractor Talk:

"My local Kubota dealer said the new Kubota hour meter read with the key on, while many older tractors/equipment hour meters were set to register at or near operating rpms. My snow cats seem to register hours much slower than my new Kubota. This info came to light when I had to delay my hydraulic oil change for lack of parts. The dealer said with the newer hour meters they tend to show more operating hours than older style hour meters on equipment and to not worry about the extra 10 hours of use on the break in hydraulic oil in the L39."

It appears that different brands, ages, and models of tractor could have a very different functioning of the hour meter. Your insights would be appreciated and may save a life or two:D.

/ Hour meter operation?? #2  
The mid 80's 10 series Fords have a statement in the owner's manual that says hours are 1 to 1 at 2000 rpms. Below that the clock is slower and above that the clock is faster compared to real time.

/ Hour meter operation?? #3  
As I posted in another thread, Mechanical hour meters base one hour of run time on a specific RPM, usually PTO speed or rated RPM. Generally older tractors have these, such as my Ford Jubilee (NAA). Newer tractors have electronic hour meters and as far as I know all of them record hours run based on the key being on (or the engine electrical system running), and it doesn't matter what RPM the engine is/has been run at.

/ Hour meter operation?? #4  
my last tractor's(2006 Branson 3510) hour meter ran at operating rpms, my new massey is if the key is on.

/ Hour meter operation?? #5  
Typically things change over time. With the old mechanically driven proofmeters, hours accumulated at a rate of the manufacturers choosing. In the case of Ford hours accumulated 1:1 at 1600 rpm at a point in time. Apparently that changed over time as well. Deere was 1:1 at 2000 rpm at a point in time, could also have changed over time. Interestingly, none of these relate to pto speed.

/ Hour meter operation?? #6  
The mid 80's 10 series Fords have a statement in the owner's manual that says hours are 1 to 1 at 2000 rpms. Below that the clock is slower and above that the clock is faster compared to real time.

That is how both my tractors work. My 1960's Ford 861 is at one RPM and my 2003 Jinma 254/284 is at another. I really do not worry about it. I have beer to drink and women to chase.;) Neither one have a thing to do with the key being on or off other than starting the engine...

Chris

/ Hour meter operation??
Great wealth of knowledge in just over an hour!

Probably the "beer to drink and women to chase" puts the question in the proper perspective.

Hopefully there will be more information on this topic as others spot it. Thanks to all who have posted.

/ Hour meter operation?? #8  
My 1995 Kubota B7100 had what you're calling a Hobbs Meter; just an electric clock that ran anytime the key was on, whether or not the engine was running.

Then my 1999 Kubota B2710 had the Tach Timer; registered one hour if the engine was running at PTO speed, less time if the engine was running slower.

I have no idea how they decide which type to use in which models.

/ Hour meter operation?? #9  
I'm not sure what you are looking for.. you have described both the electric 'clock' style meter and the rpm based mechanical meter.

My farm cuv ( galf cart looking thing ) has an electric clock. I can turn the key to the first click to the cig lighter adapter is powered, and the clock comes on.. if i let it set there an hour, then the clock accrues an hour even though the machine is not running. On the other hand, my old ford 660 with proof meter, it mesures hours at a certain rpm.. if you run at half that rpm, it registers half the time.. etc.

both have merit, depending on what you are doing. I have seen companies that run both and use the numbers for different things. IE.. rental based on clock time, and servicing based on tach time..

soundguy

A difference of opinion has been raised about how hour meters record the hours. Is it:

(A) actual clock hours that the engine is running or is it

(B) based on a hours at a certain RPM called a Tach Timer?

Could there be a (C)?

In the RPM/Tach Timer logging situation, for example, if 3000 RPM is registered as 3 hours then the same 3 hours on an identical tractor sitting side-by-side idling at 1000 RPM would only register 1 hour on the meter.

What has been your experience? Tractor brand, model, and approximate year of manufacture would also help.

Some background is below.

In Minnesota it would be illegal to have an hour meter that does not reflect clock hours.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=325E.166

There is a Hobbs-type meter that measures "on" time:

Hobbs meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a Tach Timer:

Tach Timer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there is this post from Net Tractor Talk:

"My local Kubota dealer said the new Kubota hour meter read with the key on, while many older tractors/equipment hour meters were set to register at or near operating rpms. My snow cats seem to register hours much slower than my new Kubota. This info came to light when I had to delay my hydraulic oil change for lack of parts. The dealer said with the newer hour meters they tend to show more operating hours than older style hour meters on equipment and to not worry about the extra 10 hours of use on the break in hydraulic oil in the L39."

It appears that different brands, ages, and models of tractor could have a very different functioning of the hour meter. Your insights would be appreciated and may save a life or two:D.

/ Hour meter operation?? #10  
The meter on our 2008 Montana 5740c is tach based. Lots of days I work much of the day with the loader and only end up with 3 hours on the meter.

Brent