jd 327 baler

/ jd 327 baler #1  

suttonbeeman

Tractor
Jd 2755 Jd 2440 kubota 2150
I have used a jd 14t since I was a kid, grandfather purchased it new..still have orgional owners manual. I havebeen rolling most hay , but now have a large amount of ALfalfa and want a bigger baler. Looking at a JD 327.. Does anyone have any experience with them...pickup looks larger than a 336 which a friend has. Any info appreciated!

/ jd 327 baler #2  
Welcome to TBN!

I thought the pickup on the 327 was larger than the 336, too. But, I looked in the manual's and the 336 is 56 inches and the 327 is 55 inches!! :confused:

Must be the spacing on the pickup teeth that makes the 327 seem wider... and the number of teeth - 88 on the 327.

Same size bale; 14x18 and plunger strokes (80) for both balers. Book says 40hp (minimum) for the JD 327.

AKfish

/ jd 327 baler #3  
Two different vintage balers that you are trying to compare! Normally they add more teeth to the pick-up on the higher numbered models for a better flow into the baler.

The 327 is a smaller model which I'd wonder that if you have a lot to bale that you might not want a larger baler capacity. The kicker on a deere baler will limit how much you can bale with the capacity of a 327 being about all the kicker will handle.

/ jd 327 baler #4  
I have been looking at pretty modern balers 328 vs 338 vs 348. Of course the dealer says go with the 348 but the 328s are a lot cheaper. Even cheaper used...

D.

/ jd 327 baler #5  
The 348 will really crank the bales out! Lot's of bales on the ground in a very short time..

Neighbor has one - and it keeps the black smoke rollin' outta their JD4430!

AKfish

/ jd 327 baler #6  
Yeah - it is supposed to be a high capacity baler - just looking at the price.

D.

/ jd 327 baler #7  
I purchased my JD 327 with a #30 bale ejector three years ago and I love it. I have had very few problems that were not self inflicted.

Note, the 327 is very similar to the 336. They all share the same basic internals and most importantly knotter assemblies. There are differences in the pick-up heads and possibly gear ratios, but the important bits are the same.

As Art said, the bale ejector will limit your baling rate. So if you plan to use a pan thrower ejector (#30 or #40), a 327 is well matched to the thrower. I can pick up probably 10-15% by not using the bale ejector. If you are going to use a 1/4 turn chute, accumulator, belt thrower, bale bandit or other device, then a larger baler (337, 338, 347, 348) might be worth the extra money.

/ jd 327 baler #8  
Welcome to TBN!

I thought the pickup on the 327 was larger than the 336, too. But, I looked in the manual's and the 336 is 56 inches and the 327 is 55 inches!! :confused:

Must be the spacing on the pickup teeth that makes the 327 seem wider... and the number of teeth - 88 on the 327.

Same size bale; 14x18 and plunger strokes (80) for both balers. Book says 40hp (minimum) for the JD 327.

AKfish

I am looking at my service manual and one thing that jumps out at me is that the 336 is 96" wide vs. 98 on the 327.

My 346 is 108" wide.

AK - no wonder you had an easier time hauling yours and I had to skid mine up on a cedar block!

D.

/ jd 327 baler #9  
I am looking at my service manual and one thing that jumps out at me is that the 336 is 96" wide vs. 98 on the 327.

My 346 is 108" wide.

AK - no wonder you had an easier time hauling yours and I had to skid mine up on a cedar block!

D.

Yep.... all planned - ya know!?! Not really; BAL (Blind-@ss-luck)! :D

I pretty well had decided before heading down that I was gonna get a good shape 24T or a 336. Been lookin' on MachineryLink, etc. for the better part of 2 years. Really kinda wanted a 24T 'cause I figured I could get 2 in good-fair shape for what I'd have to pay for 1 - 336.

Looking back; I can see now that there's no-way I could have hauled everything on the trailer with 2-24T's on board!! :eek:

Knew I needed a flat-deck trailer to be able to load, re-load and secure everything. Wanted a minimum of 8-1/2 feet - 102 inches and the 336 used every inch and a schooch more with the big tires hanging just over the rub-rail.

AKfish

/ jd 327 baler #10  
I hear ya - I hauled 2 of them from East Texas. Going to Alaska - wild.

I am told the 24T is pretty much the best baler JD ever made. Every part is available and replaceable and greasable.

D>