Oil & Fuel Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size?

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
Long story short, I lost my gas cap over the weekend. (Have a 1601d)

Are these yanmar caps "universally" sized, or has anyone used one from a specific car in a pinch? I don't have time to wait, lots of work to do today.

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #2  
Long story short, I lost my gas cap over the weekend. (Have a 1601d)

Are these yanmar caps "universally" sized, or has anyone used one from a specific car in a pinch? I don't have time to wait, lots of work to do today.

the ones from a car screw in the hole and the yanmar's thread on over the filler hole, I have though perhaps one from a large plastic gas can might work but you would have to do something to plug the center spout hole on the cap, funny you mention this as I have lost a tail light lens, I think I plowed it under while plowing the garden yesterday, I guess the screws backed out:cool:

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #3  
my thought is a boat above deck fuel tank? I will go check mine out of my portable 12 gallon boat tank. and let you know.

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #4  
nope, portable boat tanks dont work, nor does my pressure washer cap, which appears the same size.

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #5  
I've replaced the gas cap on a 155d with an off the shelf gas cap from Tractor Supply. I'm pretty sure they would have one to fit, but it might take an educated guess on sizing if you don't have to old one to compare it to. Check a local ag store, or go ahead and order one from your favorite Yanmar dealer if it can wait a few days.:thumbsup:

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #6  
nope, portable boat tanks dont work, nor does my pressure washer cap, which appears the same size.

Yup I check the plastic boat auxiliary tank cap as well ..don't work, and it turns out the the large plastic tank I thought would fit is 1 size too large, its the 5 gal. kind that dirt bike riders mix the 2 stroke fuel in,... my generator cap is same size as riding mower cap, too small,

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size?
Went to NAPA and looked at one of their catalogs.. it had diagrams of every gas cap they have avaialble.. none of them matched.

So I went to ACE hardware and bought a 2" expandable pipe plug.. put that in the inlet and it fit snug as a bug. There is a small hole to the side for venting, but this setup is not waterproof.. so I will have to order a replacement cap.

thanks for the replies.

/ Lost my gas cap - is it a "standard" size? #8  
i was poking around on the net looking for something else and found a place called Lucky Co, they have new yanmar parts including both the metal and plastic screw on caps if one of the dealers who frequent this site cant help.