4520 opinions and thoughts

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #1  

Kevin M

Gold Member
Tractor
48" bobcat walk behind , 60" Dixie Chopper Classic , 755 John Deere 4x4 70 ldr belly mower etc etc , 7610 Ford 4x4 7412 ldr and 10 ft rhino hogg
Im looking to upsize my 1984 ford 1910,4x4, for a good used 2006 john deere 4520 4x4 ,400cx loader , How is this model and what are its issues ? Thanks guys !

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #2  
I have a 2008 4520 with 400 CX loader and ehydro tranny. I use it for mostly "utility" type work - grading, snow blowing, moving bales, cleaning paddocks/loafing sheds/stalls, etc. I use it for haying 20 acres in the summer, and I plan to start farming a 10-15 acre plot with it this spring. For those chores, it is superb - lots of power, very maneuverable. The CX loader is very strong. However, if I was going to do more/bigger ag jobs, I'd want a bigger JD - 5E or 5M series. The tractor has been rock solid mechanically (not a single problem), although I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to upkeep. I use JD oil and hydraulic fluid. I figure whats the point in saving a few bucks when I plan to keep the tractor for a long time. The tractor starts easy in cold weather, but I do use a block heater in very cold weather.

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #3  
I have been on the lookout for problems with the 4x20 series tractors for quite a spell and so far these seem to be good tractors. So far I am happy with my 4520, I would think you will have to look at the tractor in question on an individual basis. Look it over for problems and if you have concerns have the local dealer check it out.

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #4  
Couple of operational issues to consider:
The CX leveling feature is nice, but... the roll back does not appear to increase as the bucket is raised. This limites the amount of heaped material you can carry.

The 4520 is outside of SAE cat 1 HP. So some cat 1 implements may not hold up. I buy the cat1 / cat 2 whenever possible.

JD is serious about the amount of ballast for full 400CX operation. I have been able to pick 2700 lb+ concrete culverts, and with the ballast I was still light on the rear end.

The JD engine is noisy. Don't try to sneak up on someone with it.

You will usually break traction before you lose power.

I love it.

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #5  
I owned the 4520 w/loader and backhoe. Power reverser tranny. I had absolutely no problems. The machine has lots of power. I just traded mine for the cab model 4520. If you buy it you will not reqret it. It is like night and day between it and your current ford.. I hope this helps.

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts
Thanks guys I also have a 755 jd and I'm partial to the deere product line , although that 1910 has been a good tractor!

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #7  
I have the lower horespower 4120 with Power Reverser, 400 CX loader it has been a fine machine, no problems so far, just need more attachments.:D

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #8  
The 4520 is a fine machine. The engine is powerful and it is a real machine. I enjoyed mine, but sold it to a friend and downsized. My property is wooded and on a steep hillside and a larger machine actually was slower than a smaller one on this terrain. If I had a more clear parcel of land, I would likely still own my 4520. I cannot see the reason to go into a 4720 unless one just wants to have one.

John M

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #9  
I've had a 4520 w/ CX loader and e-hydro for a couple of years now, problem free, and have found it very good to work with. Just yesterday my daughter wanted to move some dirt (never driven a tractor), so I turned her loose on it. Took three hours to get it back she was having so much fun. She even figured out how to level the dirt on her own.

I use ear protection when operating it, but noise levels have been a problem on all tractors as far as I know.

/ 4520 opinions and thoughts #10  
The 4520 is outside of SAE cat 1 HP. So some cat 1 implements may not hold up. I buy the cat1 / cat 2 whenever possible.

I love it.

We're considering a 4720 could go into more detail on this issue? Are saying
it's a Cat. 1 tractor with too much power for Cat. 1 implements?
Thanks