Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000)

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
Not me, my tractor. Hah.

I bought my L4200 for use as a TLB - I've owned it for ~5 years and have never removed the Woods 9000 backhoe. However, I now own a 1000 ft. of gravel driveway, and need to start running 3pt hitch implements (hope my hitch works...).

My problem is that I can't make it over the subframe mount to drive away from the backhoe.

I attempted to take the backhoe off once before a few years ago. Firstly, one of the two hydraulic hoses that plug into the tractor is too short, so I can't lay the 'hoe on the ground with the hose connected. Not a problem taking it off, but once on the ground, I'd never be able to get it back on (figured that out before it was too late). So, with that in mind, I put a block under the backhoe to keep it up 6" or so, so the hoses could re-connect, and got it disconnected. I need to either change that short hose, or get a 1' piece to plug in - soon as I get a round tuit. So far so good. However, when I pulled forward, the rear tractor mount (connected to the tractor) hit the front part of the backhoe frame (connected to the 'hoe), so I couldn't get over it. As it was the front of the frame that was hitting, the block under the backhoe did not change this clearance problem.

Anyone have a similar problem with a subframe mount? I have turfs, so my tractor sits lower than normal, which I think is what is causing the problem. I am planning to make some up-n-over ramps to drive over to lift the back of the tractor over the mount, but what at PITA! Any better suggestions?

JayC

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #2  
Not me, my tractor. Hah.

I bought my L4200 for use as a TLB - I've owned it for ~5 years and have never removed the Woods 9000 backhoe. However, I now own a 1000 ft. of gravel driveway, and need to start running 3pt hitch implements (hope my hitch works...).

My problem is that I can't make it over the subframe mount to drive away from the backhoe.

I attempted to take the backhoe off once before a few years ago. Firstly, one of the two hydraulic hoses that plug into the tractor is too short, so I can't lay the 'hoe on the ground with the hose connected. Not a problem taking it off, but once on the ground, I'd never be able to get it back on (figured that out before it was too late). So, with that in mind, I put a block under the backhoe to keep it up 6" or so, so the hoses could re-connect, and got it disconnected. I need to either change that short hose, or get a 1' piece to plug in - soon as I get a round tuit. So far so good. However, when I pulled forward, the rear tractor mount (connected to the tractor) hit the front part of the backhoe frame (connected to the 'hoe), so I couldn't get over it. As it was the front of the frame that was hitting, the block under the backhoe did not change this clearance problem.

Anyone have a similar problem with a subframe mount? I have turfs, so my tractor sits lower than normal, which I think is what is causing the problem. I am planning to make some up-n-over ramps to drive over to lift the back of the tractor over the mount, but what at PITA! Any better suggestions?

JayC
Read the manual? :confused: If you dont have the manual they are online at woods.

Wedge

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000)
Read the manual? :confused: If you dont have the manual they are online at woods.

Wedge

And what, pray tell, do you expect me to find in the manual?

JayC

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #4  

JayC

Maybe the correct method to remove the backhoe? Or, the answer to your question about removing the 'hoe/subframe?

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #5  
I just installed and removed my BH76 off of my B3200 tractor to install a mechanical thumb.Kubota's are made to be a breeze to install and remove, same as my BX23 TLB. Now that being said and without any pictures for visualization help your hoses are to short. Probably an error on who installed the Woods backhoe. Make it a breeze for yourself and install a new hose one foot or so longer.
DevilDog

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #6  
Jay,, Sorry I don't have a L4200 but I do have a Woods BH ,, After the coments here I decided to look and see what the manual said about "Attaching Backhoe to Tractor" This is a direct quote from my Woods manual.. :confused:

Remove backhoe from pallet and position on level surface. Back tractor as near as possible to center of backhoe>

Remove seat and upper support before attaching backhoe to tractor.

Service optional hydraulic reservoir to full mark on dipstick, When backhoe is mounted and operated it will be nessary to add more fluid to reservoir. Install cap. End of quote from the Woods operators manual..

Well Jay so much for the book.. If nobody here can help you call a local dealer there is some trick to it your not seeing and they could tell you..

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #7  
Not me, my tractor. Hah.

JayC
You've got to get a longer hose or set of hoses sufficient to allow you to use the bucket and stabilizers to lift and move the hoe.

My BH70X mounts on 2 hitches off the subframe, so it's a lot easier.

Point for other readers - when you get something like this spend a lot of time till you get it down pat, especially if you got it from a dealer you can at least call for pointers.

I must have hooked and unhooked my box blade 6 times the first two days, and the BH aboiut 5 times the first week. Just to learn and remember.

Compared to the BX's mine is a big pain, my best time has been was about 10 minutes, most spent pulling away, backing up, getting off and trying to "nudge" it, repeat. Once off then a lot of time sucked up putting on my 3pt stuff. But the extra reach is worth it.

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #8  
Don't know if this helps, but on my NH tractor/backhoe, I put the bucket and stabilizer pads down on the floor and try to put enough pressure in the right places to take the bind weight off the mounting points. If I can pull the pins that hold the backhoe to the front of the subframe arms, it is reasonably balanced. Then I drive forward about 1 foot -that's where the longer hoses come in - to drive out of where the backhoe slides into a U-shaped carrier slot just below the PTO shaft. The next step is to lower the entire hoe and subframe connecting arms to the floor using the hoe hydraulics. Shut off the tractor and disconnect the hoses. Mine has to be done in this two step thing, forward, then hoe down to clear a cross member on the backhoe arms that attach to the subframe.

Take your time. I managed to break off a pipe fitting on my hydraulic distribution box early on. :eek:
Dave.

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #9  

JayC

May the method that Woods suggests to use to install and remove the backhoe? I guess if it were me that's where I would put it.
I just read the instructions. Manual 9406 They are there.. They aren't good but they are there.

Wedge

/ Can't get off of my backhoe! (L4200 w/ Woods 9000) #10  
For a quick solution jack up the tractor and put some blocks under the tires so you can drive off the hoe. Then get a new longer hose.:D

Or "he he" cutting torch.:laughing: