Dry That Air Filter!!

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #1  

thavil

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I thought I would share a stupid moment I had today while performing my 300 hr service on my BX24, hopefully this will keep someone else from doing this. The 300 hr service on a BX24 calls for all fluids and filters to be changed/cleaned.

Early in the process, I took my air filter (6 months old) inside and washed it in warm soapy water. Once washed/rinsed, I took it outside and let it dry. After I was finished with everything on the 300 hr service, I put the air filter back in the housing and fired up the tractor. The tractor ran smooth for about 5 seconds and then started blowing black smoke out the exhaust. I turned the tractor off and knew immediately what the problem was. I didn't check to make sure the air filter was dried yet. I took a close look at the filter and could tell it was still damp.

For now on, I will have another air filter on hand to replace the filter being cleaned.

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #2  
I thought I would share a stupid moment I had today while performing my 300 hr service on my BX24, hopefully this will keep someone else from doing this. The 300 hr service on a BX24 calls for all fluids and filters to be changed/cleaned.

Early in the process, I took my air filter (6 months old) inside and washed it in warm soapy water. Once washed/rinsed, I took it outside and let it dry. After I was finished with everything on the 300 hr service, I put the air filter back in the housing and fired up the tractor. The tractor ran smooth for about 5 seconds and then started blowing black smoke out the exhaust. I turned the tractor off and knew immediately what the problem was. I didn't check to make sure the air filter was dried yet. I took a close look at the filter and could tell it was still damp.

For now on, I will have another air filter on hand to replace the filter being cleaned.

Washing a filter properly is at best tricky. For the cost of a filter compared to a dusted engine I always go for a new filter.:)

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #3  
May be a waste of money, but I always use new filters as opposed to washing them.

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #4  
May be a stupid moment, but that's exactly what I would have done...thanks for sharing and reminding...

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #5  
I noticed that and I do not know if I would wash a paper filter...that is weird..

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #6  
New filter Tod...they are only $16. Sheila will let you have that!!:D

Deano

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #7  
I have a 1988/89 B9200. My air filter cost's $75.00 at the Kubota dealership!:eek:

Mine has a paper element also. I couldn't imagine trying to wash it with water.

Too bad K&N doesn't have a replacement.

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #8  

Don't be too hard on yourself.
In a DESPERATE attempt to get a diesel going I once splashed a little gasoline on it's paper air filter - - the THEORY seemed good at the time and it DID work.
Still scratching my head as to why it would run great once my "ether substitute" had got it started I did the same thing the next day and the day after that.
EVENTUALLY it back fired and the paper filter caught fire.
Just how an indirect injection diesel back fires through it's intake air path and spreads fire all the way back through the turbo to the paper air filter is still somewhat of a mystery to me.

Anyway, point is there is always someone out there who can out_stupid Ya (-:
I won't do it again, there was no damage beyond the burned paper filter and it has run FINE ever since.

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #9  
According to the manual with my tractor you can blow them out with compressed air from the inside to the outside with the compressor set low (30 psi). I did that yesterday when I changed my engine oil and it seemed to work ok. Probably still some embedded in the paper. It's good for a quick one or two time cleaning for us frugal Yankees though.

/ Dry That Air Filter!! #10  
According to the manual with my tractor you can blow them out with compressed air from the inside to the outside with the compressor set low (30 psi). I did that yesterday when I changed my engine oil and it seemed to work ok. Probably still some embedded in the paper. It's good for a quick one or two time cleaning for us frugal Yankees though.

I do this too, but I replace it about once a year.