Pin-attached work platform

/ Pin-attached work platform #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
Anyone ever built or considered a pin-attached work platform for an excavator? I have a 43,000# machine and am considering building a perhaps 4x4 work platform for it instead of having to rent a boom lift. Crazy?

/ Pin-attached work platform #2  
Dear 5030tinkerer
I do not see anyproblem with building a work platform. As long as you do not use it for any employee or on a work site. We all know the boom is more than strong enough, but you do not have lock valves and dual controls.
I am thinking of building a 40' boom platform that is trailerable, there is an entire site (Niftylift) that makes them.
Craig Clayton

/ Pin-attached work platform
The plan would be to use it for me with my son at the controls. No production work site use, ever. Just around the farm. I was going to go to a local rental yard, take some measurements and materials ideas, then hit the steel yard. Knowing me, it will be way overbuilt, but falling from 20' or more just doesn't ever sound like a good idea. I'll also be investing in a safety harness for good measure so that any potential slip on the controls doesn't cause a fall.

Last edited:
   / Pin-attached work platform
I'm getting caught up on how to build the pin connection, though. Any ideas?

/ Pin-attached work platform #5  
A 2" trailer reciever or maybe 2 of them..

/ Pin-attached work platform #6  
Dear 5030tinkerer
I was rushed yesterday and here is a longer version. I have my 35' scissor lift licence, and we needed to go to 60' at work so we rented a 60' er. We were not licenced to operate it under work place law. The rep from the company came by and tested us. The next range of licence was 105' and the actual test was show how to operate the dual controls to take over the platform and bring it down. Drive ahead and show a turn. They do not care if you only take it up 10'.
I was thinking if your machine is strong to make a stringer boom to pin on with a work platform 4' X 7'. It is amazing how much stuff you can have up there. Make the railing
42" high and strong. You need 2 tie off points and cross strapped fall arrest harness. The normal working load on the platform is 500LBS. You do not tie off to the hand rail.
If you look at NIFTY LIFT you will see many plans. For your stinger you could use a
4" X 12" X 3/8" I beam maybe 20' long.
I watched a bridge repair where a excavator had a custom 10' X16' platform that was hooked over the edge to reach under the bridge. It was probably signed off by an engineer and safety lines were tied off. The operate stayed with the machine.
Craig Clayton