Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
Hello-

For a little over 3 years now, I've had a Deere 5105 utility tractor (47 PTO hp, MFWD, 522 FEL, R1 ag tires with filled rears). I use this on a 20 acre property that has a horse, some pasture, 10 acres of hayfields and a lot of miscellaneous.

In all honesty this isn't the tractor I originally wanted. I wanted a large CUT with HST, and was close to buying either a NH TC-45 or a Kubota L5030. But my wife didn't like HST and planned to use it a lot. Turns out she uses it less than 1% of the time, and lack of HST is an issue for me. Also we were thinking about buying hay equipment, but shortly after the tractor purchase realized that was not practical for 10 acres or our time availability.

As time has gone by my actual uses for the tractor have evolved to:
-brush cutting/field mowing
-pasture mowing
-moving round bales with the loader and sometimes a rear spear (4x5 bales, approx 500-600lbs)
-some random and fairly light other loaded work, mostly dirt and compost
-a little but not very much snowplowing
-disking some garden plots and occasionally larger areas with a 6' tandem disk

Over 3 years, I've found that this tractor works, but is not ideal for a couple reasons:
-it's much bigger than I need for anything but moving round bales
-the 8/4 manual transmission and conventional clutch is an enormous pain for loader work or any other tight area work
-the turning radius is too big for convenient mowing inside 1-acre pastures
-nothing I do and no implements I have come anywhere close to taxing the engine power

So, with a barely used (165 hours) tractor that is not quite right for my needs, I'm seriously thinking about selling or trading it. After some experience I actually think that the midsize CUTs, 30-40hp, like a JD 3320/3520 or a Kubota L3140-3940 would handle all my tasks. Moving round bales on the FEL may be at the edge of their ability, but should still be safe (our ground is fairly level). I would even consider smaller, but need the ability to handle round bales. I really want HST and a smaller turning radius. Also, if I could get R4 tires and not fill the rears, I could probably use the tractor for a lot of the lawn mowing that we now do with a very tired 42" MTD riding mower, and that would be a plus too. (I am also considering getting a flail mower to supplement or replace my 6' rotary cutter.)

For those who've used some different sizes and types, what am I likely to miss if I make this trade?

What specific tractors should I look at? I really want HST, a tighter turning radius, R4 tires, and quality. The only dealers close enough to really consider are Kubota, New Holland, Deere, and Case. Of those the Kubota/NH dealer is probably the best, but I suppose the Deere dealer might give me a better trade-in if I decide to trade (vs. sell on my own), and they are OK.

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #2  
Makes sense, I too would be hard pressed to give up my HST. I would go set on and drive a few machines to see how they feel. I am partial to Kubotas but thats just me.:D

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #3  
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do... It's a shame you didn't go with your original intent.
Biggest downside on trading or slling now is you'll likely take a pretty good hit when you make the deal. Don't be surprised if you lose 15-20 percent.

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #4  
There is a thread on Kubota buying in pricing where a guy is downsizing also.

In order to get full use out of and enjoy a tractor, it must be the right one. For years I have resisted buying another tractor because I have a 72 HP and 80 HP , both geared, to do work that my BX or JD2305 wouldn't do. This year my wife and I decided to get something smaller with ab HST. We started looking at new tractors in the 34/49 HP range when we came across a very good used Kubota Grand L 5030 HSTC. I love this tractor and for me, it is the perfect size. It is very powerful for its size and has an amazingly tight turning radius. I did keep the bigger tractors as I need them on one of our farms, but I doubt I will ever bring one to the property where I live and have taken the Kubota up there and left the others sitting.

I will never buy another geared unit.

In shopping at different dealers, my preference was the Grand L4240, but I like the entire L40 Series.

While my preference is for Kubota, I would recommend going to check all makes out to find which is the best fit for you and your needs. Good Luck

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #5  
NH typically has a very large turning radius compared to Kubota (the only two I have personal experience with). It's one of the reasons I traded in my NH. They now have some "super steer" models that are supposed to be better. I agree on the geared NH, shifting wasn't fun and would be a pain with a loader.

You might be underestimating the weight of the round bales, especially if fresh. When comparing loader specs, find out if the lift capacity with with the bucket or without. I would also recommend the skid steer type quick attach so that you can change loader attachments easily.

Although HST is nice for loader work, I find the forward/reverse shifting in the Kubota M series very easy. I have an M5040 with loader and I don't miss the hst at all except for that the bucket operates slowly at idle.

If you operate in mud, I don't know if R4 tires will be satisfactory. We have lots of mud here in winter.

You will probably take a big hit on your trade in. With the current market and financing, used equipment value is down. OTOH, there are good financing deals on new equipment. Life is more enjoyable when you have the proper equipment. I know I made a mistake with the NH. It was worth the cost to me for the upgrade.

Ken

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #6  
i'll throw out some Deere models for you to consider. 4120/4320, 3520/3720. me personally i would go with the 4000 series as you mentioned hay bales. this time around are you going to go all out and get a cab for you and your wife along with the hydro? Kubota also has many models for you to consider, but i'm not all that knowledgeable about them. the L4240 would be a great one to take a look at though, then just go up or down a size in tractor. wish i had known you were going to sell your tractor, i would have bought it. that always seems to happen to me, i can't find deals for the life of me so i go buy new. by the time i bring whatever it is home, the deals are all over the place it seems like, showing up out of nowhere.:confused2:

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments
RollingsFarms, looks like we just missed a great opportunity!

I looked at JD 4x20 series before and I find them largeish, clumsy, and priced too high. I think the 3320-3720 are more likely my speed. I am looking to downsize almost as much as to get HST. Also wondering about their Yanmar imports, maybe the 3038E?

On the Kubota side the midsize Ls should be fine, I'm also pondering the L4400 now that it's available with HST. I had looked at the gear L4400 before but the lack of a sync-shuttle killed my interest (and with good reason!). Even the L3400 would probably be big enough, but it appears that it has only a live PTO, not an independent PTO, and I would not want to take that big step backwards.

Oh, and I've also gotten used to having draft control. Are there any CUTs that have draft control? Not really a must have, but I might miss it a bit.

The caution on round bales is good, but I have to balance that with all the other uses. I know some round bales can be huge and heavy but anything we would buy or get baled would be 4x5 and maximum of 800lbs, generally less. Horse hay.

On the FEL side I have a hay spear that fits a JD loader quick-attach, which makes me slightly prefer another JD loader... but obviously all non-JD options use a different style, and a new spear is only a couple $100 compared to the total cost of a new tractor. And I should be able to sell the hardly-used spear if need be.

Oh, Ken, you're kicking me when I'm down. I really wanted to compare the Kubota M5040 at the time and thought it was probably slightly better, largely because of the hydro-shuttle option, but no one had one in stock or knew when they would get one. That would have alleviated half my issue with the JD, though not on the size issue.

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #8  
i have learned quickly from using the auto reverser on the JD BH that cutting out the need to clutch makes my left knee happy.

Life is short and as I age I am learning bigger is not always better. Get what you need to the hay moving and you should be good to go. :)

/ Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments #9  
   / Thinking about trading smaller, would like comments
Kioti is interesting. The problem is that I'm near Charlotte, SW of Lansing and about 45 miles from Morrice. I was also tempted by Kioti in 2007; that dealer (McCormick Intl) is now out of business. I may think about it, but I have dealers within 10 miles for the big 4 brands, including a really good Kubota/NH dealer, and I would be driving past several Deere and Kubota dealers to get to Morrice for a Kioti. But, again, I may check them out.