Another fine 1300 with a broken crank

/ Another fine 1300 with a broken crank #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
I see where a Ford 1300 was listed on an auction bill. It stated good condition ( Loader I believe also ) with mechanical problem, a broken crankshaft. I didn't even bother to go to see if someone buried themselves in this thing. I'm betting someone would go 12-1500 thinking it would be an easy fix for a four wheel sub compact. Good luck finding the parts.

/ Another fine 1300 with a broken crank #2  
Man, Joe, you sure are down on the older Fords. Did you get burned at one time or something?

I have an older 1210 that has never given me any trouble but parts aren't that hard to find. I just bought an entire 1210 for cheap just to part out and keep some of the parts for myself.

Going to the dealer sucks for anything, but there are a lot of good deals out there if you are willing to turn a wrench.

/ Another fine 1300 with a broken crank #3  
I see where a Ford 1300 was listed on an auction bill. It stated good condition ( Loader I believe also ) with mechanical problem, a broken crankshaft. I didn't even bother to go to see if someone buried themselves in this thing. I'm betting someone would go 12-1500 thinking it would be an easy fix for a four wheel sub compact. Good luck finding the parts.

Ever think maybe there's a reason nobody builds two cylinder diesels that size?

/ Another fine 1300 with a broken crank #4  
I just wondered if you can, let say buy a TC-30 and have it last 30 years from now like the 1300. There are many 8n still out there that about 60 years old. I think there were less corner cutting in metallurgy and casting then and now.

JC,

/ Another fine 1300 with a broken crank #5  
I just wondered if you can, let say buy a TC-30 and have it last 30 years from now like the 1300. There are many 8n still out there that about 60 years old. I think there were less corner cutting in metallurgy and casting then and now.

JC,

New tractors will be disposables just like all those Cub Cadet's, MTD's, John Deere Sabre brand, etc you see for sale in Lowes, Home Depot, TSC.

My 2 year old 27 Hp Cubbie cannot hold a candle to my Dad's 1975 10 hp Wheel Horse in workmanship, power or ease of repair.

The compact tractors made in the last 10 years have been marketed to farm hobbyist who do not have a clue that a tractor should last 40 years or longer. Electronics and proliferation of tractor sizes and models will be their downfall. 40 years from now no tractor company will want to have to supply parts for so many obscure models that sold in limited runs to begin with (compared to Farmall H's or 8/9/N's anyway)

We still watched a hand me down 1978 Zenith Console TV until late 2008 when we went to HDT and bought a new Vision TV (which lasted 14 months until it neeed a new $300 module) . The guy who repaired the TV said most new TV's last 4-5 years and people just accept it and go out and buy another.

We have been brainwashed to accept obselence.

Last edited:
   / Another fine 1300 with a broken crank
No, I didn't get burned. Most of my fleet is 3-5 years old. I just pitty the guy buying these older " compact representations " paying a big price for the Ford reputation and later finding they bought a pile of problems. You can not compare an old 8-N to these 2 cylinder diesels. One can practically buy enough parts to build an 8-N. Not so with the 12-1300 foreign engine counterparts.
I'm sure there are some that will last a lifetime. Alot of them will suffer from crankshaft disease. Just my opinion... glad I don't have one.

/ Another fine 1300 with a broken crank #7  
It would probably been worth a look for me. The shibura stuff is not bad quality, that is if its anything like the 1700. It probably was not maintained properly and led to the crank failure. Being a mechanic for 30 plus years helps to not be intimidatded by the work that may have to be done on it. But I would agree that if someone got in there and "butched" it up tying to "fix" it, the problems could easily be worse than it needed to be. TB