Front-End Loader New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT

/ New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
My first L345DT had the model 1720 loader. It was made in the U.S. I always thought it was too big & heavy for the tractor. It's length put the load way out - steering was hard. It wasn't removable so the bulk and weight were always there. Here's what it looked like:
l305a.jpg

I've been looking for a better-matched loader for my current L345DT.

A new-in-the-crate LA450 loader came up on eBay. This loader was designed by Kubota for the L models that came out in 1985, and whose bell housing and tranny case were very similar to the 1982 models. It looked like it might fit or come close - so I went for it.

The hunch was right - the center frame bolted right up to the six holes in the bellhousing without modification. The front support needed one new 1/2" plate welded in for bolting to the frame - $50 mat'l & labor including orange paint.

A.jpg

So here it is - a restored L345DT with a new removable Kubota loader. It uses the internal hydraulics accessed at the hydraulic block under the seat. (regular 3-hose setup with the power-beyond hose coming back to the block)

I'm one of only a handful of people who thinks this is cool - but I'm quite pleased about how it came together.

Attachments

• B.JPG
    B.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 7,537
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,342
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,376
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 8,208
Last edited:
   / New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT #2  
That loader looks pretty good on your L345DT. Happy operating!

/ New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT #3  
Dick,

That looks great! I guess you didn't need the brackets off of my old L345 after all.

Last edited:
   / New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT
Hi Bill, we might still need a chin bar for a 1720. A friend is negotiating to buy one that's been removed from a tractor - the pictures don't show all the brackets - so we'll see.....
I was sorta proud of remembering your tractor had the chin bar but no loader. My wife might say my memory is good - for tractors. ;) Take care, Dick B

/ New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT #5  
Looks VERY good. Nice job!

" 1 hungry wood boiler "

spoken like somebody who knows what it's like to sleep in a chair near the stove and thought a wood boiler would be easier. Glad it's Spring.

/ New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT #7  
**** fine job! Its always nice when something like this comes together so well! Also, I love those "old" kubotas with round headlights. I betcha this project seemed way too easy to be true? What do you have to pay for a new in crate antique loader if you dont mind me asking?

/ New Kubota Loader on my old L345DT #8  
I may be the only person who thinks this is cool - I'm quite happy about how it came together.

Very cool, Dick!

Interesting ROPS....is that from Kubota?

If you have no power steering, maybe you can find a setup off an old
L2250/2550/2850, which replaced your model, I believe.

boxygen:
It was a nice moment when we first brought the subframe up under the tractor and realized it was perfect width & hole locations. There was even a spacer in the kit for one side that isn't needed for the L345's bell housing. (actually fits the L345 better than its intended model) I gave $1850 - it was perfect - stored inside and included everything - single-lever control valve, all the bolts, brackets, clips, hydraulic hoses and quick connectors, even the adapter to convert the oil filler cap to a hydraulic return. It was a good deal.

dfkrug:
I got the ROPS thru Kubota's ROPS and seatbelt program. It's a good program for older machines without ROPS. Kubota prices them low and many dealers pass them through at cost. Got mine from Pinnacle View Equipment in Walpole, NH. (around $250 including freight)

The L345 does have power steering. Its in the steering box instead of an outside cylinder - so it's a little weak when stopped on pavement with a full bucket. On the good side it saves the tires.

Thanks for the kind words - I edited my post to say there may be a handful of us who like this. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:
Got an email about the hydraulic block - I'm posting the answer here. Under the seat there is a 4-bolt cap that connects two hydraulic block ports together. There is an available adapter that replaces the cap - it has pipe-thread holes for fittings. One hose powers an aux valve and the other is to bring pressurized oil back from the aux valve's power-beyond port to run the 3-point hitch.

Now is where I brag about Ronnie Bowman at Tractorsmart.com - a VERY helpful guy. I happened to have one of these adapters - but a friend is also putting a loader on a L345 so I wondered if the adapter is still available from Kubota. The original is discontinued but Ronnie kept digging until he found its functional equivalent - part No. 70050-00279 price $88.30. It is the key part for tapping into the internal hydraulics for these early '80s tractors - so it's worth it's weight in gold. So is Ronnie. Great job.

Last edited: