Comparison Advice needed on a new Mower purchase.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #1  

moodyda

Recently I posted a comparison between 2 AWS Tractors that I was interested in comparing and have since ruled that type out. I have also ruled out zero turn types as they become too pricey plus they would get the lawn done too quickly as I do enjoy the chore with a few. I am now comparing three different tractors that will be used to cut 1.3 acres of somewhat hilly and sloped landscape located in rural part of West Palm Beach, FL.

1. My favorite is the JD x300 but pricey. OK though if it will last 20 years.
2. Cub Cadet LTX 1050 with its 22 hp Kawasaki engine, 12" turning radius, and 50" mowing deck and for $1k less than the x300, but will it last?
3. Finally the JD LA 125, which I wonder if it will outlast my current 9 year old Craftsman lt 1000.

All recommendations welcome.
Thanks

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #2  
I am not a fan of the JD 100 series. The 300 is a good machine. The Cub tractor would probably be ok but stay away from the Cub ZTR's, they do not have a good rep.

Chris

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #3  
I looked at both the X300 and the 100 series from the box stores. I had an acre at the time with some spots that weren't the best ground, little bumpy in places. I thought the X300 was much better and decided on that. Had it two years before we moved and it did great.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase.
I looked at both the X300 and the 100 series from the box stores. I had an acre at the time with some spots that weren't the best ground, little bumpy in places. I thought the X300 was much better and decided on that. Had it two years before we moved and it did great.

Thanks, so there were no problems with the x300 over those 2 years. That's good to know. Did you have experience with lesser quality equip, if so what was the real difference?

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #5  
I had a Troy Bilt Horse previously and it broke a U joint (think thats what it was called), belts came off, and the engage lever to the mower had to be rigged to work. Worse piece of equipment ever. Thats when I decided to get something better. The X300 won out. Had to mow thigh high grass at another property and it did it with no problems. Over the two years all I did was change the oil, grease when necessary, and added new blades after I cut the 7 acres of tall grass (that wasn't fun btw). Never a problem.

I didn't do a massive search, had a JD dealer very close and after looking at the ones at the box stores (cub cadet, husquv****, etc) I decided on the X300. Great decision. If you plan on only keeping something for a short time I'm sure the 100 series or similar will get by but the X series is definitely a step up if you plan on keeping it.

Yes I plan to keep. I have tried to keep the LT 1000 going but I have had it with this or that breaking down. I am just hoping that the Kawasaki 17hp motor is strong enough. Haven't had a chance to test drive one yet.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #7  
Welcome Moody.

Since you plan to keep the mower a long time, get the X300 series. I have a L(emon)-130 that's been a disappointment. Granted I cut juicy tumbleweeds in dusty conditions with mine, which is more than what it was intended to do; but it still has needed more work than what I expected, and it sucks gas.

Welcome Moody.

Since you plan to keep the mower a long time, get the X300 series. I have a L(emon)-130 that's been a disappointment. Granted I cut juicy tumbleweeds in dusty conditions with mine, which is more than what it was intended to do; but it still has needed more work than what I expected, and it sucks gas.

Gee I wonder how the x300 is on gas?

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #9  
The Kawasiki's JD uses have a reputation for being somewhat thirsty. That would make more sense if owners would put numbers on it! I have a 20HP Kohler Command in my Simplicity, and mowing with the collector running I use about a gallon an hour, or perhaps a bit more. I use less, of course when I don't use the collector, slightly less than a gallon per hour of mowing at WOT. Doing other chores at half throttle, it is quite miserly on gas. Maybe we can get some comparison numbers here?

P.S. About 625 hours on the engine now, and I've replaced a fuel pump (factory defective staking operation) and a starter (what's up with that one?)

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #10  
I bought a JD X324 (all wheel steer). It has the kawasaki 22hp engine and runs very smooth. I mow at full throdle and use about 1 gal/hr. I traded in a JD L120 with about 250 hrs on it, I spent more time fixing that tractor than running it. The Biggs engine was junk. I crawled all over and under the X324 before I bought it...all the weak spots on the L120 are beefier on the X324.