Ford 600 Clutch Replacement

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #1  

CECILSSTEEL

Any suggestions on replacing a single stage clutch on a Ford 600 inaddition to the instructions listed in the Ford shop manual.

Will start to split the tractor in half this week.

Thanks, Cecil

Last edited:
   / Ford 600 Clutch Replacement
Clutch replacement is new ground for me. I have a shop manual and have read the sections regarding clutch replacement but remain lacking with inexperience. I will post some specific questions if I encounter some difficultly or need advice.

Please continue to review the thread.

So far I am at the point of being ready to separate the tractor between the engine and the transmission. I plan on leaving the transmission attached to the rear of the tractor, blocking up to leave the engine stationary and using a heavy floor jacket to roll the rear of the tractor back. I plan on leaving the top steering assembly attached to transmission (slight deviation from the manual).

How much separation is needed to completely disconnect the shaft from the clutch?

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #3  
make up a couple wood wedges to wedge the front axle.

also, change the few dollar tranny input shaft seal and replace the gasket.. input shaft makes a great alignment tool.

soundguy

Split the tractor yesterday, the process went smoothly, thank goodness for the person than invented comealongs, no pry bars were needed.

The fly wheel had some caked rust in spots, on of the clutch fingers was partially stuck, the pressure plate was rusty, and the clutch release bearing had a little play. Main problem was that the tractor previously had been sedimentary too long.

Will order a complete 9in 10 spline clutch pressure plate kit with bearing.

Removed the rust from the flywheel with a drill driven wire brush and followed up with 60 grit paper.

Corrected a sticking left brake pedal by cleaning the rust on the pedal shaft.

Main issue now is removing the pin holding the clutch fork in place, so that the clutch pedal shaft can be removed for cleaning. So far have not been able to drive the pin out with a punch. Considering applying heat from a propane torch to help free the pin. Any suggestions?

Thanks Soundguy for the advice using the tranny shaft as an alignment tool.

Making progress.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #5  
Good luck.

heat sounds like the ticket.

if it won't go.. then spray cleaners, brushes and rags :)

soundguy

Able to clean and freeup the clutch pedal shaft. Amazing how just a little bit of rust will make the pedal shaft stick. Brass bushings look like new. Applied a little never seize compound for good measure.

Will be ready for reassemble when the clutch kit is delivered later this week.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #7  
Allot of time that's the main problems on these old girls they don't get used much and clutch components start to set up/rust seen it many times,one needs to work the clutch every so often.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #8  
Cecilssteel, You might want to look around for a transmission shop or automotive machine shop to reface that flywheel. They can make it look like new for cheap money. Can make a big difference in the life expectancy of your new clutch. Had the flywheel ground on my 801 at a racecar shop for about $20 ten years ago. MikeD74T

Thanks for both comments.

This old Gal needs to be worked frequently. She will used for light duty work. Looking forward to a weekly workout cultivating beans with the original two row cultivator.

I will have my neighbor take a second look at the flywheel and discuss the options. I have a John Deere tractor reserved for the heavy work such as plowing, discing and bush hogging. The Ford 600 will be reserved for light duty work, ie. planting and cultivating.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #10  
make no mistake.. that 600 will do hard work too.. they are great 2 bottom machines ( up to 14 ") they pull disc and hog with a 6' hog as well.

soundguy6.5" 3pt or even as much as 8' drag/pull type.

soundguy